cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW - DB migration from MS SQL to DB2/400

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are planning to migrate the BW 2.1C from Window MS SQL to i5 system.

I found some notes such as 744735 saying that the migration for version below 3.0 is not support.

Anybody has any experince and knowledge on this, kindly advice.

Thanks

Yuva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. Very helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuva,

We are doing exactly what Axel suggests. Even though our BW system on MSSQL was 3.1, we still did a new install of 3.5 on iSeries, recreated all the BW objects, made the old BW 3.1 system a datasource and pulled the history from there. Our BW 3.1 system was not very big yet and it didn't make sense to go through the database migration process.

Good luck,

Margie Teppo

Perrigo Co.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yuva,

the database layout of the different BW objects like InfoCubes, ODS objects etc. is very platform specific. The challenge of migrating a BW system from one to another platform is to migrate one specific DB layout to another. This task is solved automatically only just with BW3.xx and newer.

So my recommendation is to upgrade your MSS system to BW3.xx and perform the migeration to iSeries afterwards. Please check the following SAP notes for details:

6.20 - 777024

6.40 - 771209

7.00 - 888210

Another option is to install a new BW system NW04 on the iSeries machine and recreate manually or with transports your BW objects (InfoCubes, ODS objects etc.) there. Afterwards you have to load the data from your old MSS system directly into the iSeries BW system.

Hope that helps!

Axel Stein