cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Multiple JDBC Drivers on MII 12.1 (Does order matter?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using MII 12.1.4 with plans to move to 12.1.6 patch 2. We have Oracle 8, Oracle 9 and Oracle 10 databases and have inconsistent behavior when multiple JDBC drivers are installed. I'm wondering if the order that the JDBC drivers are installed matters?

Basically with Oracle 8 JDBC we have intermittent database insert problems. When we use Oracle 11 JDBC only then those problems go away and everything works fine. However, Oracle 11 JDBC does not support the Oracle 8 database and so we want to use the Oracle 11 JDBC for all databases except Oracle 8 and use the Oracle 8 JDBC for that database only. When we have installed both JDBC 8 and JDBC 11 we see the same database insert problem as when we had JDBC 8 so we believe it's using the old JDBC driver instead of JDBC 11.

Is there a way to specify which driver to use for which database or an order that the drivers should be installed and deployed in order to use the JDBC 11 for all databases that it can be used for and use JDBC 8 only for the Oracle 8 database? Guess and checking the problem is time consuming since the problem is intermittent so wanted to post here and get feedback in addition to our experiments.

We cannot just use an Oracle 10 JDBC driver because it has a time truncatenation issue that is fixed in Oracle 11.

Thanks for the help,

Kerby

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the class packages are the same (assuming so since all of the oracle drivers I've seen use the same driver) then you can't have 2 at the same time, since they will overlap and you can't prioritize or point one data server to 8 and the other to 11.

If you upload and use one of them inside NW as a DataSource, you could create an MII DataSource type Data server pointing to it for one of the DB's, then upload the other JDBC driver into MII and point a normal IDBC DataServer to that for the other one.

So, use the 8 driver as a NW Datasource connection, and the 11 driver for an MII IDBC Data Server connection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeremy. My experiments with uploading the JDBC driver seems to bear this out. No matter which order we upload the driver it seems to use the Oracle 8 JDBC driver.

We'll try your suggestion of configuring the JDBC 8 as a Netweaver DataSource.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kerby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using the Netweaver Datasource solved the issue.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Answers (0)