Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOA Authentication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I need inputs from all of you.

I need to know couple of things about ESOA or Service Oriented Architecture with PI.

1) How can we create classification for Enterprise Services/ Web Services in SR?

2) What is End point and how can we create End points in SR for Web Services?

3) How can we define Security roles for Consumers in SR? Like some should only view couple of web services only. Some should be able to publish web services on SR and some should be able to discover and use web services or download WSDL etc.

If you have some documents for the same then i will truely appriciate

Thanks,

Hetal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

take a look to these presentations

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/10229a57-d31e-2b10-84a7-97ae84632...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/903a4127-5403-2a10-0a96-e9452c3ab...

/people/rathish.balakrishnan/blog/2008/09/01/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-enterprise-services-repository-and-services-registry-150-really

Edited by: Rodrigo Alejandro Pertierra on Sep 17, 2010 12:26 PM

/people/soum.chatterjee/blog/2009/01/09/why-is-the-repository-and-registry-the-heart-of-the-soa-based-business

/people/bharathwaj.ragothaman/blog/2008/03/16/esoa--publishing-and-classifying-enterprise-services

Edited by: Rodrigo Alejandro Pertierra on Sep 17, 2010 12:33 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rodrijo that is quite helpful.

But still my doubt for security is not cleared.

Can you please specify bit more on that?

Thanks,

Hetal

Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in those documents that i send to you talk about SR security like:

UDDI Server Configuration

Configure Security Policy Properties: Here you can set security levels for publishing, replication,

discovery, inquiry, custody, subscription and value set functions according to the UDDI v3.0

specifications

also take a look to this presentation about whats new in pi 7.1 HP1

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20c237f1-3caf-2b10-3a83-cce9ed5fb...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rodrigo.

I think i am totally confused about the SOA.

My client is asking me to create an interface using PI.

If i am following your links it says directly to publish it from the Provider.

I mean supposingly if i have one RFC and if i want to publish it directly publish it from ECC.

Then what is the use of PI in that?

Can you please explain it a bit?

Suppose take example:

Web service -> PI -> ECC Proxy/RFC

What is the need of PI in SOA?

Why PI is needed to publish Web Service?

Thanks,

Hetal

Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wow, let go slow. first that all you must try to understand the concep of SOA

Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) is a fast and efficient way that allows IT to meet business requirements, facilitating service reuse.

Having previously defined services, IT acquires the ability to:

1-Respond quickly to business changes by decreasing development time.

2-Reduce maintenance costs by reusing the same item in different solutions.

This architecture provides:

1-Better productivity through standardization and best industry practices

2-Agility Differentiation through innovation in business processes while leveraging existing assets

3-Greater flexibility to adapt business processes at the speed they require

In general, service oriented architectures (SOA) is an architectural pattern which requires all exposed functionality to be published as services in a platform-independent manner. These services can be consumed by other applications. To successfully utilize SOA on an enterprise level, you need to consider several additional aspects. All interfaces need to be clearly defined and stable and to make use of global data types. Both points ensure loose coupling and reliability for service consumers and avoid superfluous transformations caused by technically different definitions of semantically identical information. To establish additional reliability, all services must follow clearly defined communication and behavioral patterns u2013 Clients need to know whether services are synchronous or asynchronous, whether they return an answer, how they handle exceptions, which security policy they use etc. Additionally, the underlying business model (interaction between business objects) needs to be transparent to establish common ground in terms of relationships between business objects which play a role when calling services.

for more details of all of it i give you some links

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c019bf26-8bb8-2910-4f8f-e9bd55eda650

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/elearn?rid=/library/uuid/e05cb08d-4095-2c10-f7a2-cbe20cf69923

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/40db4735-02f9-2a10-b198-a888a056bb67

Edited by: Rodrigo Alejandro Pertierra on Sep 17, 2010 5:06 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think i got little bit idea about SOA.

Coming to the technical point: what i felt is we have made it generalized in place of End to End communication.

Previously we had Web Service (SOAP) to Proxy scenario.

Can you tell me how can we implement it as SOA?

I still dont understand that how PI comes in Picture.

For using SR we can use SAP SR or IBM SR or anything

Then why PI?

Thanks,

Hetal

Edited by: hetal shah on Sep 17, 2010 11:04 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hetal,

Can you tell me how can we implement it as SOA ?

If your web service structure is same as proxy structure and if you don't need any Mapping,

then you can create endpoint in SOAMANAGER and share the wsdl link to sender system.

If you have any mappings and structures are not same then you must use PI .

AFAIK ... SOA stress more on the use of industry specific Enterprise Services which are designed by sap (considering common business requirement ) which has the glue code for proxy generation(no need to write any custom-proxy code: hence minimizes development).You may need ESR here to

import the relevant XI content from marketplace(Here PI comes to Picture).The end point can be configured in SOAMANAGER and wsdl can be exposed.

So this way , we are exposing service from ECC and we don't t need any development in PI or ECC.

So if your requirement is available as any standard enterprise services then you can leverage SOA very well.

please visit [ES workspace|http://esworkplace.sap.com/socoview(bD1lbiZjPTAwMSZkPW1pbg==)/render.asp?sap-unique=193437&sap-params=aWQ9RjZDRkMwRUEzRUYxNEJDOTg0MUM1MjgyNzJFRTg1ODMmcGFja2FnZWlkPURFMDQyNkREOUIwMjQ5RjE5NTE1MDAxQTY0RDNGNDYyJm1vZGU9]

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hetal,

You still need to understand SOA a bit better & do a bit more reading.

To get you started, an example, you can have a web service that allows you to create a business partner in SAP & that's all it does. Now SOA reduces business functionality down to business object level. So you would have a business object like business partner & one service interface to manage it with mutiple operations (e.g. create, update, delete, read etc). So now you would have 1 service that can multitask. In the past you would create a web service for each of the desired actions on the business partner object. This is true in most cases - there are exceptions to this rule where an service can have mutiple unrelated operations, this is not good SOA design but it still complies with the rules of SOA.

Can you tell me how can we implement it as SOA?

This can't be implemented as a SOA scenario unless you group it with other business object related web services. Also bear in mind that SAP started offering SOA functionality in SAP PI from version 7.1, so older scenarios (PI 7.0) would need to migrated but still won't function as SOA services. They would just co-exist with other SOA services. Web service communication doesn't necessarily mean SOA but SOA works using web services.

still dont understand that how PI comes in Picture.

For using SR we can use SAP SR or IBM SR or anything

SAP PI isn't necesssary. It's a nice to have. It will make life much easier in web service design time for service interfaces. You can also use it for additional security, mediation & advanced mapping. Don't confuse SAP SR or IBM WSRR with SAP PI, although SAP SR is shipped with SAP PI & SAP CE, SAP PI & SAP SR are 2 different things & they can be used independently.

Lastly, you should be posting these kind of questions in the [SOA forum|;, that's a more relevant forum.

Regards, Trevor

Answers (0)