cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create External Window in Webdynpro for Abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am creating an external window using method CREATE_EXTERNAL_WINDOW. The componentcontroller context and the assistance class attributes are not available in the Handledefault method of the external window. Is there a way to pass data to the external window without using URL parameters?

Thanks

Cindy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

When you create an external window, that application in the new window is in a separate user session (perhaps even running on a different applciation server). So there are no direct ways to pass info except via the URL parameters. You could store the data in a server cookie (data table entry basically) or in shared memory (careful of the multi-app server situation however) and pass the key (probably a GUID) via the URL parameter to go and lookup this data in the use application instance running in the external window.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this possible the most asked question (including all the various versions of how to pass data between sessions) in this forum?

@Thomas: with all your wonderful eLearnings on WDA is there one which covers this in any depth? As it would be nice to point people to it.

And just to add some value to my post - don't forget about the possibility of database persistence of the data either - using a cluster table (ABAP import/export statement) is an easy way to store a lot of data with just one single key which can be passed as part of the URL parameters. (can't say I like it as a solution - but it's nice and simple).

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>@Thomas: with all your wonderful eLearnings on WDA is there one which covers this in any depth? As it would be nice to point people to it.

No I can't say that I have ever created something specifically on this. The ACFUpDownload example is closest simply because I use the cache table is a similiar way, althought I hesitate to recommend that eLearning in this situation becuase that aspect isn't central to the eLearning and it might just confuse things further.

>don't forget about the possibility of database persistence of the data either -

That was actually what I was talking about in server cookies as well. Server cookies are something that was originally created for BSP, but work fine in WDA as well. They are just a cluster table where you can store any data you want and access in another session via a key. The nice thing about server cookies is that there is already a help class for read/write and batch job that can be scheduled to clear out expired entries.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/2a/31b97b35a111d5992100508b6b8b11/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I just created a new thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/3325875 and just saw your answer here, that is connected to my question.

I want to know how to keep the session when using the method create_external_window. Do you know if this is possible with a SAP webdispatcher, or not ? If yes, how is it possible ?

Thanks a lot in advance, if you have time to look at my thread, and tell me what you know about it...

Guillaume

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help, I am using the server cookie method and it works perfectly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am displaying a ALV list and on_click event displaying a document with different text layouts based on criteria that is already stored in the component controller context. The document has to be displayed in another browser window enabling another document to be selected from the list. Am I going down the right path using method create_external_window or is there another way of accomplishing this?