cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transformation Rules

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen other posts related to this but wanted to start a specific thread about transformation rules and proposals.

I have been struggling through mapping transformation rules for about 2 days and wanted to see if folks are having the same issues. And maybe bring them to light for the developement team.

Obviously the largest problem is the rule proposals arent making obvious connections to standard SAP objects. Especially when coming from the PSA to and initial DSO. However, I find that when mapping from a DSO to an InfoCube the rules work. This seems to be an inconsistency that shouldnt occur, if it can map for one it should map for the other.

I have tried to minimize time of mapping when creating custom InfoProviders by inserting objects in the same order as the datasource has them listed, however the datasource is presented in the transformation rules viewer in an order that isnt consistant with the source system datasource. Possibly having sort and search tools for each side would be extremelely helpful. This would be an extremely handy addition, enabling developers to find objects without scolling through many objects. Another feature suggestion would be the ability to hide rules that are already mapped. This would help narrow down the options of what you can connect to.

I am currently mapping 2LIS_11_VAITM to a custom DSO and this datasource has over 140 objects, this is an extremely time consuming process. I am using the infosource listing on help.sap to help me find many of the connections but this still takes time.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has found a better method or even suggest if I am missing something or proceeding incorrectly.

I dont want to be critical because I really do find a lot of incredible features in 2004s I just feel this particular one needs some polishing.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After about a week of working through it I have found a way to create automatic mapping without the use of an Infosource. We are modeling in a format that takes each DataSource and maps to a DSO. There isn't always a BC DSO so many of ours are custom.

My steps are listed below.

On the InfoSource Tab (Note- Ensure DataSource and Infosource have not been migrated)

1. Right Click > Additional Functions > Create Transfer Rules

2. Activate Transfer Rules

3. Right Click > Additional Functions > Transformation erzeugen

On the DataSource Tab

4. Create Transformation (Map to DSO, should map automatically)

5. Migrate DataSource

6. Create InfoPackage

7. Create DTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

That's spot on, glad could help. Defo the way I'm going to do it for future work in 2004s.

Hope all goes well. Fingers crossed in SPS9 or 10 the routines would have been migrated to the new 00 methodology.

Sarah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great information, I tried the steps that you have given , but somehows its not mapping from DS to DSO.

Basically I have standard DSO which has 3.x update rules to 3.x infosource, then this infosource has 3.x transfer rules to 3.x Datasource.

Now following your steps , Ialready ahve 1 and 2 steps ready.

as per 3 step, there is no Additional Functions when you right click on datasource, you see Create transformation directly, henceI ahve doubt maybe i missed something or you have a typo.

Would realy really appreciate if you can please guide on these steps on how to achieve the auto mapping of transformations between DS and DSO without IS.

My email is Jainsurendra@hotmail.com if you can email with screen shot, would really appreciate it.

thanks for your time and help.

Bobby.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go to the infosource and right click you should the "Additional functions"--> create update rules or transfer rules.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ragini,

I am trying to find a way in BI7 to avoid creating mappings of fields within transformation between Datasource and target like ODSO.

I already have UR and TR in place from our 3.X version, once you migrate the DS to BI7, then if you create transformation between migrated DS and ODSO, system does not propse the RULES automatically.

Do you know how to achieve that without using IS in between DS and ODSO.

pls share if you do, would appreciate your time and help.

thanks,

Bobby.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you already have update rules.transfer rules..why dont you right click on datsource and choose create transformations..

Former Member
0 Kudos

On step 3, when right click on the InfoSource and > Additional Functions > Transformation, it says I must create an InfoSource and asks me to pick one or generate one from an existing 3.x InfoSource.

I've tried a couple ways and I still can't avoid generating an InfoSource in order to have a Transformation with the Mappings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

To join this thread, we have just done the same as you all be it about 2 weeks ago and understand your pain. I've done the majority of the 11, 12 and 13 extractors and unfortunately there is no easy way. We like yourself have gone to a DSO first and then to a cube. The DSO is a one to one mapping with R/3 and is harsh like you said.

If I was doing it again, as SPS 8 was not released for us yet I would do it this way for 11,12 and 13 LIS.

RSA5 from source system > transfer datasources

Replicate datasource in BW

Install business content for 0sd_c03 including old update rules

Migrate old update rules to new transformation using old update rules > right click > additional functions > transformation erzeugen > which will then create you your new infosource

Now with your new DSO > create a transformation with your new infosource and you should pick up all the proposals automatically, some routines, constants will also come through too, if not then i've been using help.sap.com and the old update rules to help me too as there are routines which also need to be migrated to the new way in 2004s, OO.

Our whole mapping procedure has taken about 3 weeks compared to 2 days in BW 3.X. We've been in close contact with SAP who advise on further SPS releases the automatic mapping and business content for transformations is being planned.

But as we are on a 2004s implementation we do not have the luxury of time.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Sarah

Former Member
0 Kudos

FIGL for us worked fine, just a shame LIS did not!

Sarah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sarah,

Thank you for your input, that helped alot. Also good news from SAP, I had not heard that.

Question for you. When I am trying to migrate existing transfer rules I am getting a short dump. You mentioned it is working for you. I just wanted to confirm that with someone because I just posted a message with SAOP about that.

Also, are you activating the transfer rules within the InfoProvider tab and then migrating, or just migrating without activation.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Message was edited by: Michael Salvatore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

No problems, steps we have seen with migrating transfer rules, yes we have seen many short dumps. Try oss note 962706 but please be very careful that if using snote that all traffic lights are green.

I would definetely say that please apply all notes mentioned in 955901 and then try migrating from the infoprovider tab, i.e erzeugen.

You might find it dump, but do a /nrsa1 > refresh entire tree > infosources and you should see your new infosource there. You can then do a transformation using your new infosource- something I will incorporate on future work.

Please bear in mind that routines also need to be done in the new methods too, e.g comm_structure now becomes source_fields, etc.

Cheers,

Sarah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

We also had faced the same issue, the mapping not getting done by themself. First replicate the datasource from r/3 into bw system and then install your business content for that cube, in that way the transfer structure gets installed. and then do the transformation from datasource to DSO the system generates all the proposals (mapping) by itself.

The DSO to cube works because you have your update rules activated in the system.

Hope this help...

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you said I replicated metadata after R/3 activation, then I installed business content for 2LIS_12_VCHDR. Now I am trying to create Transformation Rules, none of the proposals are created automatically... My next task is, I have to create proposals for 10 different standard extractors...

I have to do one-one mapping manually and also add rules/routines wherever necessary... Could you please let me know if there is a way we can automate the proposals in NW 2004s as like we used to do it in BW 3.5 (older BW versions)

Does everyone have same problem when creating Transformation Rules ??? This is really tedious task in NW2004s...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rammohan,

I am not sure about 2LIS_12_VCHDR. But i am working on FI/CO and as I mentioned if I had active transfer rules/update rules(3.x version) the system created proposals while doing transformation. Why dont you try doing that.

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

2LIS_12_VCHDR have update rules to Infocube 0SD_C02 when I installed the business content. After I migrated the datasource from 3.x to NW2004s, I am trying to create transformation rules to either 0SD_C02 (or) custom DSO object (created based on 2LIS_12_VCHDR template)... but none of them generating all the propsals (not more than 2)...