cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a vb6 application that contains Crystal Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

In 1999 and 2000 I wrote an application in VB 6.0 that creates reports using Crystal Reports. In the last few weeks the user cannot produce the reports, when ever they try they get an error. I of course need to figure out why and fix the problem.

At this point I can't open the project. I get errors that say each of my DSR files cannot be loaded, refer to log file.... The log file contains the following:

Line 2: Class {BD4B4E61-F7B8-11D0-964D-00A0C9273C2A} of control CrystalReport1 was not a loaded control class.

Line 0: The file C:\SVN-Sandboxes\Microsoft-Sandboxes\RDRS 2000\RDRS\CrystalReport1.Dsr could not be loaded.

Any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Inference is that you're using the Report Designer Component (RDC) SDK.

And that you have compiled Crystal Report reports - i.e., where you don't have rpt files, but dsr (ActiveX Designer) reports.

That you saved in a code version control repository (SVN). That you no longer have.

Then when you built your project, you compiled the report dsr into a dll.

So you're stuck.

Don't know if there's any possibility other than re-creation.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do have the RPT files.

I think the biggest problem is that this project was done quite a while ago and I cannot find what to do with the RPT files. Seems like there was another ??? that I downloaded and installed that let me import the RPT files but I can't remember for sure.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Does the application use the rpt files directly, or was it made into a dsr file and compiled into the dll itself? It's the RDC ActiveX Designer component that works with dsr files.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

The project is trying to load the DSR files.

I believe we created the reports using stand alone Crystal Reports, not sure which version, and then imported them into VB.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Well, the Crystal ActiveX Designer should be embedded in VB6...

It's been deprecated for a while now.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what you are saying is that I am out of luck. Possibly rewrite the application?

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Gosh, not yet - you might ask over at the Crystal Reports, Dashboard and Presentation Design (Xcelsius) and Interactive Analysis > Legacy Application Development SDKs, for possible steps in recreating the dsr. I'm not saying there's a definite resolution, but I don't think all the cards have been played out yet.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I moved your post to the Legacy SDK forums where the RDC posts are typically answered.

Search here also, Ludek may have a solution for you.

Thank you

Don

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I'd break up the issue into two parts:

1) "In the last few weeks the user cannot produce the reports, when ever they try they get an error."

What is the error? What does the user see?

2) "At this point I can't open the project. I get errors that say each of my DSR files cannot be loaded, refer to log file"

I assume you are trying to open the project in VB(?). Please quote exact error you get on open of the project. Are you actually not able to open the project? E.g.; is the whole VB 6 project not opening? What happens after you get the error?

Finally, what version of CR are you working with? And what OS are you on?

Ludek

Answers (0)