cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro abap onChange event for input

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I wanted to know if "onChange" event for input field is somehow possible in wd abap or if it is planned for next ehp releases

of ECC6.

(Like in Developer studio 7.11)

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

There is no onChange event for the inputField in Web Dynpro ABAP, nor is one currently planned for the next release (7.03/7.31). In 7.02 we did add the SuggestValues option that fires the value help via AJAX as the user types, but there is no fully programmable/full phase model onChange event.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the quick answer.

im puzzled with this approach though as i think that online data validation and ability to peform various operations within the context are more important to the end user than suggesting values.

thanks.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It has more to do with performance as to why onChange isn't offered. Firing the entire WD Phase Model is costly. The SuggestValues works efficientely becuase it is close/specialized call back handler that doesn't need to process the WD Phase Model. However this also means that it can't access the entire context nor can it change the rendering of anything besides the target InputField.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Opening in on a Very old post, but i kind of need an onChange event functionality in one of my Web App. Basically we are dealing with a input field which is populated using a barcode scanner and the user wishes to be able to pull all the information related to the material number read by the scanner in an Input Field Element and display the related info in other fields "Without having to hit ENTER". Sounds a bit lazy but thts wht they need.

I was wondering if its possible to modify the SuggestValue functionality to implement such an event. Any pointers to documents which explain how the SuggestValue works? I am just looking for code blocks (even if they are AJAX/Javascripts) tht i can somehow modify to make this thing work.

P.S. Also if there is any other functionality already introduced by SAP since the last comment on this thread to help solve this will be helpful too

Thanks,

Parth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Parth Shah,

In WDDOMODIFYVIEW method, you can call context log change methods to track which are all context elements are modified. Based on it, you can display all other related fields. I am not sure, if it's appropriate for your requirement.

Regards,
Vishnu

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That works, but it's very heavy to run a change log on every WDMODIFYVIEW call.

This event is critical, because you can't trust users to press enter... a "losefocus" event would also work for this purpose, but it doesn't exist.

Answers (0)