cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI files turning into read only mode when tried to check out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a DI system upgraded from 6.40 to 7.01. however the track was not updated to 7.01 because of which the changes were not getting reflected in quality system. later we updated the track also to 7.01.

but, now, when we try to check out any file, we are getting errors that some of the files are in read only mode. some of the files are having name clash errors.

does any one have a solution for this?

Regards,

Satya.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

I guess you have checked the following already but I rather ask to be on the safe side, since you did not mention it:

Did you check already on the filesystem that the file in the error message is marked as read-only?

You can check the 'Read only' flag when checking the properties from the context menu you have opened on this file, and please also check the access rights on the security tab of properties.

What about others? Are other colleagues are facing the same problem?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the code was checked in to dtr and also was moved to quality system.

Later we had to make some changes. so when we tried to create the project, we encountered this problem. many times i went into the .dtc folder, explicitly unchecked the read only property. some times it worked but again it started behaving the same way. i want to understand why this happens and what is the solution for this..

please share if you have ideas on this.

Regards,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

I have found the problem.

You have added the .gsimpletype file to the DTR however such a file must not be added there.

Please open up the DTR perspective and navigate to:

com.elan_<your track> >> dev >> inactive >> DCs >> com.elan >> Emradrs >> _comp >>

Here you'll see that there are certain folders marked with a blue house icon. Those must not be checked in, necessary only for local file generation. Important, you'll see them only if there's a project created for this DC else it'll appear unmounted.

I also want you to pay attention to the Legend icon (for this there's a black down arrow in the same view in DTR perspective. Under it you find a menu entry "Legend". This sheds some light on the meaning of the icons appearing in this DTR client view).

So coming back to the non-DTR resources, some example which must not be checked in:

These are the folders "bin", "gen", "gen_ddic" (here is by the way the Persno.gsimpletype located), "gen_wdp", "lib", and the files ".classpath" and ".project".

I also created a test. I have created a WD DC, and added a simpletype. For local generation I also saw a file created in my gen_ddic folder.

But at check in and activation not this file will be added to the DTR, but some other files generated from it.

See the files checked in in my case:

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/.dcdef

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/META-INF

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/cfg

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/def

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/configuration

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/configuration/Applications

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/configuration/ComponentInterfaces

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/configuration/Components

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/mimes

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/mimes/Applications

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/mimes/ComponentInterfaces

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/mimes/Components

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com/airwin

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com/airwin/test

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com/airwin/test/dt

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com/airwin/test/dt/dtype1.dtsimpletype

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/test

.../SCs/airwin.com/GSC_SCI/_comp/TopLevelDCs

.../SCs/airwin.com/GSC_SCI/_comp/TopLevelDCs/airwin.com test ignored.dcref

Notice, I got a long list, because this activity also includes the DC creation itself, but the point is the line:

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src/packages/com/airwin/test/dt/dtype1.dtsimpletype

As you can see the activity does not include any file called .gsimpletype, i.e. it won't even be checked in.

In short: the solution is to get rid of this file from the DTR. If your DTR is higher equal to 7.11 you can do this removal right in the DTR webui. As far as I know this is also possible on 701 as it is also EHP1. If not, then you can use the DTR perspective to remove from the DTR.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks a lot for the response.

I had to add all the files you mentioned are not supposed to be added as they were having a local symbol.

Build used to fail if i dont include them in the activity.

Anyways , now i want to try what you suggested.

However,I have a doubt.

In the DTR webgui,

beside the resource, i have a icon with a red cross mark, its description is 'delete resource'.

Is this the way i have to delete from DTR? or is there any other place where i have to do it?

Please advice..

Thanks,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

no need to have any doubts, the files which are marked in your DTR perspective with the blue house icon, MUSN'T BE checked in into the DTR as there's no version control for these files, and they are only necessary for the local project. Please remove these files and folders from the DTR. Consequently, please try not to remove files which are not marked by the blue house icon.

Exactly, it is the way to get rid of these resources, the red cross icon in the DTR webui. When you have pressed that icon, a delete activity is created listing the files you intend to delete. You can press Checkin. This will finalize the delete operation.

Do not forget to delete it from all the workspaces like dev active/inactive and cons active/inactive.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

by the way, as you can also see in my previous response, for instance for a WD project the following files and folders are available in the DCs subfolder as default:

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/.dcdef

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/META-INF

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/cfg

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/def

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/src

.../DCs/airwin.com/test/ignored/_comp/test

Folders like gen_*, bin, and files like .classpath and .project must not be in this folder.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

I will try deleting them now.

However, i want to understand some things so that i will not get this problem again...

But i want to explain you why i had to do that.

I have created a project from DTR to add some changes.

During the sunc process, it prompted saying "some of the files are checked out /not cheked in to DTR or some files are read only" in NWDS.

i used click on ok .

and then, when the sync is complete, i used to get the error which i told u about.

Then , i used to goto dtr perspective and add all the local files to DTR .

then build used to be successfull.

but this was only for once.

later when i check out and followed the same procedure,

i started adding those files to DTR for delete with a cross mark in NWDS.

what i should have done when i got the problem for the first time?

Thanks,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

During the sunc process, it prompted saying "some of the files are checked out /not cheked in to DTR or some files are read only" in NWDS.

I believe first this problem should have been resolved in the first place. Do you still have the exact error message?

Then , i used to goto dtr perspective and add all the local files to DTR .

Not all of them should have been added. The files and folders I have pointed out definetely not.

Perhaps you have created a new file which had to be added to the DTR for version control (which was marked as a local source as it was not yet in DTR) but I think you have accidentally checked in all the other non-dtr resources as well.

This could have been the reason.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I have tried to delete the file, it asked me for an activity, i gave a activity name and clicked on checkout button.

but nothing happened. i mean the page is remained saying done. am i missing any authorizations? please suggest.

Thanks,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

after you delete the file, it'll ask for an acticity and if you create it, on the next screen you have to checkin the activity. This will finalize the deleteion. Do not delete resources like for instance the def or src folder or the .dcdef file , only the files and folders I've listed above (these are the ones marked by the house icon in your NWDS in the DTR perspective)

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Yes, i was trying to delete .dcdef file..may be that is the reason i was not able to checkout.

After i checkin, should i activate that activity in CBS web UI?

Please suggest.

Thanks ,

satya.

Edited by: Satya on Sep 19, 2010 2:12 PM

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

please DO NOT delete the .dcdef file. Please see my previous posts which files and folders to keep in DTR and which one to remove.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I dint delete it. I have deleted gen_wdp files.

But now, do i need to activate that activity in CBS webui ?

Please suggest..

Thanks,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, if you have created the delete activities for the mentioned resources, you need to check them in in order to finalize the delete. You can trigger activation either in the DTR webui right after creating the delete activity, or alternatively on the CBS webui under the activities view.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I have had a similar issue and I without even consulting any one in the forum, have deleted the folders both from active and inactive workspace and have even released them to consolidation.

My worry at the moment is ,should we release them to consolidation or not? And in the process of releasing them, one my my Activities is missing entirely. Its showing up in DRT, but is NOT available in the Transport view to release it.

Because of the same, the activity is also missing in consolidation.

Please help me with the above issues and ambiguity.

Regards

DK

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

did you manage to activate the activity?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

i did not activate yet. Actually tied up with other work. Will let you know once i get chance to activate.

Thanks,

Satya.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, thank you!

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

can you please copy paste the error message here?

Thank you!

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Error:Dictionary Generation: Existing output file C:/Documents and Settings/v-Narendra.Bendi/.dtc/0/DCs/com.elan/Emradrs/_comp/gen_ddic/datatypes/com/elan/emr/model/types/Persno.gsimpletype is read-only!

Regards,

Satya.