Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

Please suggest me in this

We are planning to implement Solution Manger in our organization.

1. SAP recommends to install 3 isntances of SAP solution manager (DEV/QA/PRD), but is this really necessary if you are only going to use SSM for monitoring, analyzing and service platform?

2. In which case is it beneficial to setup a 3-system landscape?

3. Are the standalone engines CA Wily Introscope and SAP Loadrunner by HP necessary components?

Thanks,

VKP.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

1. SAP recommends to install 3 isntances of SAP solution manager (DEV/QA/PRD), but is this really necessary if you are only going to use SSM for monitoring, analyzing and service platform?

If you are gonna use SM only for monitoring and service desk. only one system is enough.

further it is always good to have 2 system one for dev and other prd.

2. In which case is it beneficial to setup a 3-system landscape?

3 system landscape for SM is required only if your are performing intensive configuration/customisation where you need seperate system to handle diff phases.

else just 2 system will suffice.

3. Are the standalone engines CA Wily Introscope and SAP Loadrunner by HP necessary components?

These are not necessary component.

CA Wily introscope is required, if you are planning to setup RCA

basically Wily is used for java monitoring.

SAP recommends to use SM for entire lifecycle of a project.

Regards,

Shyam.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sham,

Thanks a lot for your information

I am new to Solution Manager, can you please explain me that when we need two servers ( DEV/ PRD ) you said

+ performing intensive configuration/customization where you need separate system to handle diff phases.+

Is there any development work in Solution manager so that we need two servers

Thanks a lot in advance.

VKP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Yes, you may have some customization for your organization for which it is always better to have a separate development system where you can actually try out things, and then move those to production.

for instance, if you have implemented charm, you may not need the standard transaction types which SAP provides, and you may like to customize those as per your needs, in that case, you can try the customizations in the development solman system and once you are sure, then you can move it to production.

Or, you may need a few reports to be developed in solman..even in this case a separate dev system is recommended

i hope this answers your query,

Regards,

Sneha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with frmshyam that only a single system is required if you are doing monitoring. A second system is valuable as a testbed to identify any issues when applying service packs, to help reduce the downtime when you update your production solution manager system. A second system becomes more important when you are using it to other manage applications (with CTS or CHARM).

For a more detailed discussion see the blog [Landscape strategy for SAP Solution Manager|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20532] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];. For example, it points out that a third system has little value in Solution Manager, because much of the content cannot be transported.

Regards,

Sean