cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java instead of ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been asked by my manager to investigate the viability of using Java instad of ABAP.

Having never used Java in SAP I am really not sure how relevant it is because I always thought that for Java to be used with SAP you needed a SAP portal strategy. Otherwise all development within SAP i.e. SAP GUI custom transaction etc should be written in ABAP.

Our company does not have an SAP Portal strategy, but a Microsoft Sharepoint strategy, therefore how useful is SAP Java to us?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Java is not very relevant for you.

Java is used mainly for front end purposes. Functionality is retrieved from the backend using (remote enabled) RFC's or webservices. This, you can do in Microsofts script languages as well. There is hardly any added value in using Java.

Even if you would use the Netweaver portal, you can still do without Java, since Web Dynpro (SAP's new front-end technology) is now also available in ABAP flavour.

Good luck,

Roelof

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roelof,

So do these web services not need RFC's to retrieve the data from SAP?

i.e. another layer (Microsoft or Java) in front of the RFC's.

Regards

David

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No, the web services technology has been implemented into the ABAP stack, which means you can consume them directly from your frontend application, no need for RFC or jCo.

To answer your previous question. I would say no, if you do not have a java engine running in your landscape, there is no need to use java programming language.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rich.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi. If you do not have a Netweaver Portal, then there is no need to java. You can only develop "Sapgui" transactions using ABAP. You use java to write applications which run on the java stack. Netweaver Portal runs on the java stack.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rich.

So I guess what you're saying is as we do not use NetWeaver portal there is no use for SAP Java in our organisation?

Many Thanks

David