Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to give access for a specific printer to user

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have a specific requirement to access a particular printer. Suppose I have P1 , P2 , P3 , P4 , P5 printers in the system . Now suppose one particular user can only access P5 printer not other printers . How can I achieve this without using the Authorization object S_SPO_DEV . Is there any way to achieve this ?

16 REPLIES 16

Former Member
0 Kudos

> How can I achieve this without using the Authorization object S_SPO_DEV .

Okay, I give up...

Why do you want this without using the intended object?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I just want to achieve this without Authorization.

0 Kudos

Suggestion: Please correct me if i am wrong.

Add printer P5 to that particular users system and select P5 as a default printer(make sure P5's access method marked as C or L ).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use something like follow-me printing on the printers and disallow the user from accessing those printers.

Alternatively use the much more simple technique of the standard SAP authorisation concept

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahh, okay.

An idea:

You could take the ink cartridges out of all the other printers and delete spool requests to them which are older than 1 minute and automatically print with 59 seconds delay when

Then (here is the trick!) give only selected users physical access to the printers with a delay of 1 minute in a demilitarized waiting zone after having installed the ink cartridge again. If they are not out within 1 minute, then use flame throwers to remove the printed paper and other debris from the room and start over.

A side note: if you force them into printing to their LOCL printer and prevent them from being able to change it in SAP, then they can always change their default printer on the PC - which is what LOCL prints to. This might however be usefull to protect printers in the server network which they should not disrupt or send nonesense to... (even although they would be authorized for the devices).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I just want to give access to p5 printer only not other printer for a perticular user.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

I guess you could train the user and ask them nicely not to print anywhere else and explain the risk to them? (assuming you do not want to create an authorization role specifically for them).

If they are intentionally making a pest of themselves, then you can deal with it organizationally ...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Just install P5(as you said) in your local PC and make it dafult.

SAP triggers print into default printer.

0 Kudos

But he can change the default at any time he wants to, if he has only P5 printer access and not other printer then it might help

0 Kudos

Yes . User can change the default printer. I want a option where user can only select the P5 printer , otherwise he should get any error message.

Thanks

Mukul

0 Kudos

If they are not out within 1 minute, then use flame throwers to remove the printed paper and other debris from the room and start over.

In times of environmental protection (just think about CO² emissions) I'd rather suggest flooding the room with water....

0 Kudos

> I'd rather suggest flooding the room with water....

True, but the users might bring their water-wings and rubber-ducks with them once they work out how the system is setup...

0 Kudos

>

> Yes . User can change the default printer. I want a option where user can only select the P5 printer , otherwise he should get any error message.

>

> Thanks

> Mukul

What is your aversion to using S_SPO_DEV? This is the simple way to do it.

I really don't want to hear something along the lines of "we have S_SPO_DEV in the general user role with * value and don't want to change it".

0 Kudos

Exactly my thoughts, and I am sure I have seen it before...

For printers in the server network (if you have one..) you can still force LOCL or SP01 and force the user to use their PC access to choose the printers which they have permissions to in the client network.

That will irritate them and they will end up using mail reciepient lists anyway and become spool-spammers (another candidate for such a general role...)...

I do however have sympathy with the OP, because "P5" might be a simplification of a non-existing naming convention for SAP printers?

The classic conflict is between geographical regions and global functional areas. The race between the chicken and the egg here in SAP is being won by Adobe and external document management systems IMO.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

What if you removed all of the numbers except the 5 from the user's keyboard?

andrea_brusarestelletti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

reading this thread I wondered the same question: what is the reason for doing that? Authorization objects are the standard way for achieving this aim. You could, ad absurdum, introduce a change in the program in order to read a custom table where you can store user name and Printer device; or read the default printer assigned to the user master record and issue an error message if he/she chooses a different one: the result will be that you will have created a custom authorization control (that necessarily is based on the same logic of the standard one; WHO can do WHAT), with much more effort, and with side-effects such the lack of traceability, if compared with the standard one.

Best regards,

Andrea