cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Archiving

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am about to start archiving for the first time in the production system. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some good documentation. Also, I have a few questions. I really want to know if the process I have right now is correct.

...starting out

assuming that my paths are already setup where the file will be archived too.

I go into "sara" and select the object, which in my case will be PP_ORDER. I pre-process it and pretty much set up variants based on what I will be archiving (basically I am using date ranges). Within the variant I need to select "set deletion flag" and "set deletion indicator" so this will release the objects to be archived? I take it that if these are not selected then you will not be able to write or delete? Once that job has run and finished, then you can start and maintain variants for the write process, which once started that job will write the file to the archived location and delete the data out of the database. Does this sound right?

if anyone has any tips or more information I would gladly appreciated.

Thanks,

Donald Largen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No you're not, Archiving is a complex process that require detailed analysis an planning from both funtional and technical people to determine the objects/retention periods/archived data repository/etc... Seems to me like you have not done this before and you are talking about putting your hands on your production box. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Why are you assuming things?...

where the file will be archived too.

Thanks for the reply, but...

I have archived this object (PP_ORDERS) within a TSP system. I was able to pre-process, write, delete and view the archived file. The functional person did give me all the info, dates to be archived and so on. The PP functional person was also able to review the data that I had archived within our TSP system. thanks for assuming that I have never done this. As stated " I have never done this within a Production system".

...trust me the most important thing before I archive in production will be a full tape backup and SQL dump.

I had a few simple questions. And was wondering if any of those could get them answered. I really just wanted to know if my over all process is correct and if there was any tips. But I guess my wording assumed I had never archived before, sorry about that.

...if not, any other documentation out there that I haven't read would be great.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am about to start archiving for the first time in the production system

No you're not, Archiving is a complex process that require detailed analysis an planning from both funtional and technical people to determine the objects/retention periods/archived data repository/etc... Seems to me like you have not done this before and you are talking about putting your hands on your production box. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

assuming that my paths are already setup....

Why are you assuming things?...

where the file will be archived too.

This is part of the planning, you need to know where the data will go.

If you are not sure about archiving, look for expert advice.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data Archiving removes out-of-date data from the SAP database that the R/3 system does not need online, but can be retrieved on a later date, if required. This data is known as archived data and is stored at an offline location. Data Archiving not only consistently removes data from the database but also ensures data availability for future business requirements.

Data archiving process comprises three major phases. They are:

1.Creating an archive file

2.Removing the archived data from the database

3.Transferring the archived files to a location outside the SAP database

Please have a look on this link before goin gor data archiving as it would take a deep knowledge of business process before archiving your SAP data.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_dm40/helpdata/en/ad/b594429d7c0631e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Hope this will sort out your problem.

Cheers !!!!

Shobhit Garg