cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM21 Error Operating system call gethostbyname failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

While monitoring our SM21 error, we encounter the following error.

Operating system call gethostbyname failed (error no. 2 )

Communication error, CPIC return code 020, SAP return code 497

> CPI-C function: CMINIT(SAP)

This happens in only in my application servers and not in the CI.

This comes for only one communnication user.

We have 2 clients in the system and this error is noticed in only one of the clients.

Can you pls help, in finding the solution.

Regards

siddhartha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

gethostbyname() is an operating system function that tries to resolve a name to an IP addresse. The affected machine is either not in the DNS or hosts file or the DNS configuration is wrong.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply, can you please tell me if this is possible for only application server?

also can you please let me know where the DNS configuration is done in the SUN Solaris platform.

rgds

sid

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use

/etc/resolv.conf

(compare the content)

Marmkus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I just now checked the /etc/resolv.conf and did not find any host name. There are only IP address'es mentioned there which are valid.

rgds, sid

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I just now checked the /etc/resolv.conf and did not find any host name.

There are not hostnames in /etc/resolv.conf, this is the machines resolver configuration, not a hosts list, enter "man resolv.conf" and read what the file content means.

> There are only IP address'es mentioned there which are valid.

The SAP system can't find an addresse for a hostname, that's why you get this error message in the syslog. The reason for this must be found locally on the machine in either the DNS/resolver configuration or in the machines /etc/hosts file, depending on which mechanisms you use.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

The argument for gethostbyname() is a host name. can you pls tell me, from where the host name given as the argument referred from. I am new to Sun Solaris platform.

rgds

sid