cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI Landscape Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

our first SAP CE NWDI system is in place. Looking at the master guide it tends to suggest that in productive mode there should be an individual CE/NWDI server for Dev, Test & Production.

This confuses me as I'd have thought that I would need possibly only 2 - the first one for Sandbox/Prototype/training type usage with another supporting the traditional BAU Dev>Test>Production which would be handled via the track definitions.

I'm new to CE/NWDI so would like to know why the recommended landscape diagram in the master guide (page 13 of the CE 7.1 Ehp1 master guide) suggests having one CE server for Dev, one for Test & one for Prod.

Would this not involve a lot of development overhead and increased hardware costs etc ?

Regards,

Brian.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

indeed the guide is a bit confusing but I believe it is only about runtime systems. On the diagram you have pointed out on page 13 the NWDI domain is not displayed, it only explaines, that while in the individual development scenario you have only a developer workplace installed locally on your PC and you can do development (without NWDI). Additionally other developers can also develop in the way, that they have no local engine on their laptop, only an NWDS, and they deploy to the engine hosted on the machine where the developer workplace is installed, but again, this is for individual development, no NWDI is involved here.

The other scenario is for team development where you have an NWDI (this is not displayed on the diagram). Basically the boxes inside the dotted lines are developer PCs with NWDS. The upper boxes in dotted lines are also having a locally installed j2ee engines (not nwdi, this is only for running the application, i.e. only for testing it) the lower ones only NWDS (this is just to show alternative, of course one can have a team where you have only NWDS locally, and you can also have a team where each developer has also a locally installed engine, i.e. developer workplace). The boxes without the dotted lines are again separate j2ee engines (runtime systems), which you specify for your track. Here you'll deploy the software centrally via NWDI.

I'd summarize this in this way:

- install to a j2ee engine 1 NWDI system.

- install NWDS for each developer's PCs (or developer workplaces if you want them to test locally before moving the changes central (NWDI)).

- install as many j2ee engine as you wish (one for dev, one for cons, one for test and one for prod).

(If you wish you can also install only 2 runtime systems. One for Test and one for Prod, it is up to you.

I'd therefore rephrase your sentence this way:

our first SAP CE NWDI system is in place. Looking at the master guide it tends to suggest that in productive mode there should be an individual CE/NWDI server for Dev, Test & Production.

"our first SAP CE NWDI system is in place. Looking at the master guide it tends to suggest that in productive mode there should

be an individual CE server for Dev, Test & Production."

Or even better:

"our first SAP CE NWDI system is in place. Looking at the master guide it tends to suggest that in productive mode there should be an individual RunTime System for Dev, Test & Production."

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

many thanks for your reply. I'm pretty comfortable with the track design concepts supporting deployment to the various runtime systems etc.

I was just a bit confused by the landscape recommendations from the master guide which seemed to be alligning seperate CE Server/DI systems to Dev, Test & Prod :-

https://websmp206.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000718025&;

Page 13 in above guide.

Rather than having one single CE / NWDI supporting the development via tracks which I was assuming based on the way I would be implementing the tracks & runtime systems for the various development projects.

Regards,

Brian.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, let me walk through that guide, I get back to you soon.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Brian,

The guide you have found is perhaps this:

Automated Deployment into Multiple Production Systems

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/42/f1a03611d83ee4e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

In this scenario you have 1 NWDI server, and an additional track which you only use to deploy to separate productive runtime systems (this track is only about deployment, no development takes place on this track in this scenario. See the guide for details).

There's no need to have more NWDI servers only to have 1 and have as many separate servers where you intend to deploy and use the application in runtime (i.e. runtime systems).

In the most simple scenarion you have:

1.) NWDI server

2.) 4 other separate machines (one for dev, one for cons, one for test and one for prod).

(of course this can be variated in many different ways, for instance if you want to do deployment only for test and prod, then you have still 1 separate server which hosts nwdi and 2 other servers where you only deploy to). You can set up different scenarios for each of your tracks, since the runtime system configuration takes place per track.

What you are perhaps looking for is a guide which sheds some light on track design:

Best Practices: Track design for ongoing development

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2006/03/30/best-practices-for-nwdi-track-design-for-ongoing-development

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ervin