Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM support automatic merging of transport requests

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have simple query.

Does ChaRM support automatic merging of transport requests so that import time is drastically reduced.

E.g. in a project where there are 1000s of transports, typically the BASIS admin merges the transports before importing them in QA or Prod to save time for import.

(If imported in sequence, the time taken to import 1000s of TRs will be a lot)

Does ChaRM support such activity so that when a project with several 1000 TRs goes live, import time is very small.

Regards,

Sankar S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Yes, correct

Regards,

Shyam

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu and Shyam,

I agree with what you are saying.

However, customer expectation is that the merging of transports (1000s of them) should be done to import the requests in minimum possible time. (Sequential import of 1000s of transports will take a lot of time)

The way I see it is that merging may not be required sine you will not have 1000s of transports since the Requests will be few and there will be many tasks (100s) under each request.

The few TRs I am talking about will be created through Change Transaction (Normal Correction).

Is my understanding correct.

Sankar S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

ChaRM does not support automatic merging of transport requests. More over whole idea of using charm is to avoid inconsistency and object conflict due to importing in wrong sequence.

example what you have given, in this case also Basis admin does a mass import or creats a batchfile and executes,here also Transport requests are imported sequencially but there is no manual intervension.

In ChaRM Normal correction also same concept works. After Consolidation phase all the request are moved sequentially to qlty without manual intervension for each request.

Regards,

Shyam

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Automatic merging is not available in ChaRM

Merging involves cautious decisions to be made. Merging may not be useful in case there is dependancy between objects in different transports. Hence automatic merging may lead to inconsistencies.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu