cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How hard is it to edit lookup tables in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The people at my local hospital recently switched to a SAP system. The religion option for patients is hopelessly inadequate which causes a lot of frustration in the community. However, the hospital replies that "Adjusting the religious options is very difficult". It is "An international system, developed in english, and it is very difficult to make such an adjustment without causing huge system malfuntions."

As a developer with 9 years experience, this remark strikes me as extremely odd. In my mind, something like religious options will be stored in a simple lookup table, which can be easily updated from a management console. For a dynamic system, such as SAP, one would expect a generic lookup table, so that the user can add his own lookup tables, such as "gender", "age group" "language" "nationailty" etc. Changing a value in a lookup should be as simple as clicking on the value, changing the text, and saving it. Even without a management console, I can not see that it would be so difficult to write a SQL script to inser the new values. Surely, a large, dynamic business application such as SAP would adhere to best coding practices, such as object orientation and data normalisation? Also, surely such lookup tables should be pure data, and the system logic should not be affected by the addition or editing of that data?

I'd like to hear from some SAP developers though. Is it really such a mission to update a lookup table in SAP?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is a database forum for running SAP on Microsoft SQL Server. I think your question belongs into a different forum (ABAP forum?) because here are mainly DBAs and not developers.

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I've moved my query there.

Regards

Hanno