cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOA - real time proxy to web service scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am working on PI but really very much new to the SOA concept.

But i have to prepare document which explains about all steps that we need to follow (technicallly) for the SOA implementation.

We are going to implement one Proof of Concept for SOA before going for the real project.

Can someone please help me and tell me what all the things i need to do for Proxy to Web Service Scenario in PI.

I hope i have made myself clear about it.

Thanks,

Hetal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OwenPettiford
Active Participant
0 Kudos

For the scenario you are outlining you need to use PI as an integration Broker.

As a broker you create an Integration with one end being the ECC Service you want to call (the receiver) and the other being the format of the webservice that your .NET application wants (the sender). You can use the HTTP adaptor for these end points

You would point your .NET application at the sender end point, PI would pick up the data, run the mappings that you have defined in the Integrtaion Scenario and then pass the data to the ECC webservice. The response would come back the same way.

You can use the same method to "wrap up" enterprise services or if you are at NetWeaver ABAP 7.02 you can use Service Variants to "trim" the service signature on the ABAP side

This is the link to the help in PI that tells you what you need to do to configure an integration in PI

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/8f/0b674240449c60e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Owen

Former Member
0 Kudos

This seems to be interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

One doubt, here ECC Webservice will be available in SR. In outside - in approach, i can create the ECC structure in ESR and generate proxy and all.

Whatever WSDL url that i will share with the consumer, that will have ECC Service interface name or Consumer interface name?

I hope my question is clear.

If possible can you please give me step by step for developement?

I want to try it on my landscape and see that who is actually hosting the enterprise service.

One more technical question.

This interface is goign to be SOAP to Proxy right?

or SOAP to SOAP?

Thanks,

Hetal

OwenPettiford
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry I can't give you a step by step guide as I am an Architect so have not configured PI since it was XI 3.0

To try to answer some of your questions :-

Web Services will be SOAP over HTTP.

You can put all services in the SR for discovery.

The key is the Server that they point to (WSDL is bound to).

So the ECC one will by bound to the ECC server (e.g. http://myerp_server:8000/myERPservice.wsdl)

and the one for .Net will be bound to the PI server (e.g. http://myPI_server:50000/myDOTNETservice.wsdl)

Owen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Hetal,

As owen correctly pointed out you can use PI as broker if consumer application want to use different structure (PI exist to do same task i.e. mappings).

Import customer wsdl as outbound interface (service interface), use ESR as inbound interface, do the mapping (for response as well if you are expecting response) - and done!

In configuration create SOAP sender communication channel for .Net consumer and use proxy for ECC service.

Sorry! detail step-by-step guide you need to discover yourself and I am sure you will find the way (you are PI developer so this much hint should be enough for you).

Regards,

Gourav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are already working on PI then proxy scenarios are easy for you.

Search SDN for step by step tutorial. One you can find here: [Consuming Services with ABAP|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/media/uuid/20eb3174-41ab-2a10-a383-907faf60eed3]

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gourav.

But it seems that you have provided me the link which explains how to consume services from ABAP stack.

My scenario is :

I have one RFC on ECC and one third party system who can consume Web service. I have to use the PI and Service Registry to create Web service and to publish it. Once i will publish the web service then with security steps the consumer should be able to consume it.

Do you have any documentation or tutorial link for the same?

I am very knew to this concept so pardon me if i hv misdiscribed it.

Thanks,

Hetal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hetal,

Since you wrote "Proxy" to webservice scenario so I assumed you were looking for service consumption in ABAP.

>I have one RFC on ECC and one third party system who can consume Web service. I have to use the PI and Service Registry to create Web service and to publish it. Once i will publish the web service then with security steps the consumer should be able to consume it.

In this case you have two approach:

Bottom up: Create webservice from RFC (well documented on SDN) and publish it in SR.

Top down: create service interface in ESR and then create proxy in ECC and inside proxy call RFC. Once it is done then publish service.

I suggest to goto SOA e-learning section and you can find really good tutorial there, search SDN for article/blog and if you are still unable to find them then come back, I'll help you.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly check the link from help.sap.com which talks about step-by-step for the Inside-Out Approach.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/44/2bd612cb69060be10000000a155369/frameset.htm

Also check the below link for the Outside-In Approach.

/people/bv.pillai/blog/2008/02/06/esr-service-modeling--step-by-step-guide-for-outside-in-approach

Let me know if you need some more information.

Thanks

Gopi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gaurav.

But if i will select this approach then that means that no need for PI.

My POC scenario might be little weired but we have to use PI in that and not just the ESR.

I went through the documents that u suggested but found the same thing that you suggested.

my client wants to show that PI is useful and not just the ESR to create service interface and SR to publish it.

Then we can directly publish it from ECC itself.

Thanks,

Hetal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well in such case use SOAP to proxy approach which is pretty easy to use. You can find plenty of blogs written on this topic.

Publishing service in SR is not big deal it is as good as keeping record of services in excel sheet + some additional feature.

You can always call any webservice from PI, also SR and ESR are not used on runtime.

ESR = design time repository contains only defitions.

SR = directory or yellow pages of services which allows you to search services on one central place.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your advice.

I have one more question and i tried to explore SDN alot but didnt get satisfactory answer.

here is the situation:

My scenario is like :

.Net application = consumer

ECC = Provider

PI = broker

SR = Publish ES

I am using the Outside - In approach, where i am creating proxy structure in ESR and then creating/ Generating Proxy in ECC.

I am exposing my Inbound Interface on SR, so that the WSDL is available on SR.

Now the situation is, our consumer is asking data from us in different format.

I read on help.sap.com that via PI mapping it is possible.

But i am not understanding that consumer is using ECC WSDL to make a call, then even though mapping is there, how can they get response in their required format.

They are even providing us their WSDL. I am totally confused that in one interface how come two different WSDLs can work?

Or is there a way for this?

I am even ready to use the same structure for my ECC which is provided by consumer, but then i dont see any outcome using PI.

I also have question, that for standard service also, ECC Enterprise service structure is fixed which we expose, then using PI how can we provide consumers response in their desired way.

I know that m asking this question again and again, but still it is not getting clear to me... might be m not understanding that how it works in SOA.

If possible can you tell me the steps that i need to follow technically to develope this interface? so that i can get better understanding?

Thanks,

Hetal