cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing on NW 2004S VC and running on NW 2004?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running NW 2004, and if we don't have to, have no plans on upgrading to 2004S. We need to use VC for application development using Oracle Stored procedures as data sources. I therefore am interested in installing 2004S on a separate server for VC-development use only, and then transporting to our NW 2004 runtime environment.

Under How to guides I found the document 'How To transport applications modeled in Visual Composer from NetWeaver 2004s to NetWeaver 2004'. In this document I found:

'Before using the patch for transport, be sure to check that NetWeaver 2004 supports the functionality of the application to be transported. For example, applications using Web services or JDBC will not operate on NetWeaver 2004 because the platform does not support those functionalities.'

Does anyone know of any possible work around to get my application to run on our 2004 environment??

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand you correctly you have stored procedures that update your database? Then you can use the Portal JDBC connector. This one allows to use stored procedures. This functionality is available also with NW04.

if you have web services to update your database, then this only works for NW04s

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for quick answer. To be sure that we are not talking of different things:

I want Visual Composer web forms to insert into and update Oracle database tables, and Visual Composer tables to display the data in the tables. I assume I have to use stored procedures as data sources for this. According to the documentation regarding the use of JDBC with VC for NW 2004, I would guess I have a problem.

Am I overlooking some other possible solution? Or will my described solution work with NW2004?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think there is a misunderstanding: web forms have nothing to do with web services. a web service is - similarly to a JDBC connection - a data service. Such a service returns and/or accepts data (input/output). If you (web) form submits data, it can do that to a JDBC data service, but also to a BAPI, web service, BW-data source etc.

If you restrict you form to submit data to a Oracle stored procedure (that does the write back on your database) through the Portal JDBC connector, then you can write back data also with NW04.

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue as Henning; we need to access store procedures from our VC application which will be developed on NW04s and transported to NW04-based production system.

Mario; Are you saying that the statement in "How To transport applications modeled in Visual Composer from NetWeaver 2004s to NetWeaver 2004" is wrong and it IS possible to transport JDBC-based VC-application from NW04s back to NW04?

thanks,

Vegard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see: the BI JDBC Connector (displaying tables and views) works in NW04 and NW04s, so you can downport any application that uses this connector. With this connector you can also use any UPDATE statement (we didn't test it, but we also do not catch it; we pass any statement that you create).

The document means that the Portal JDBC connector (with the access of stored procedures) does not work, as I faintly remember that the Flex-integration was not implemented for this specific connector.

Mario

Answers (0)