cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB 7.6 on Windows 7 - permissions problems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I want to install MaxDB on windows 7 so that regular users could control the x_server and issue dbmcli commands.

Currently when I install it, only the administrator can control x_server (start/stop it) - regular users get an access denied error.

In addition, various commands fail with error:

ERR
-24994,ERR_RTE: Runtime environment error
1,could not create comm. shared memory [5]

When trying to run them not as administrator.

So, what are the guidelines for installing maxdb under windows 7 regarding permissions?

How can I let regular users do these actions?

Thanks,

Doron

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In addition, various commands fail with error:

>

ERR
> -24994,ERR_RTE: Runtime environment error
> 1,could not create comm. shared memory [5]

> When trying to run them not as administrator.

> So, what are the guidelines for installing maxdb under windows 7 regarding permissions?

> How can I let regular users do these actions?

Well, obviously you have to run the MaxDB tools as administrator.

You can tick on "Run as Administrator" at the file properties tab to set this permanently.

The same goes for DB Studio, DBMGUI or SQL Studio.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are developing an application and we deploy MaxDB as part of our installation.

I want the user interacting with MaxDB through my application and not directly.

For example, when the user starts my application, I want to start MaxDB also (x_server) if it is not already started.

You're saying there is no way for my application to do this without having admin privileges?

Or the dbmcli commands - part of them succeed and part don't. Why is that? I can create a database with regular user privileges but I can't extend it. This does not sound as designed behavior - maybe I'm doing something wrong?

(the dbmcli behavior looks suspicious to me because on linux/solaris it works without root privileges).

Thanks,

Doron

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> You're saying there is no way for my application to do this without having admin privileges?

The required privileges had been available to standard users until Windows 2008/Vista.

And, by the way, MaxDB is not released for Vista!

> Or the dbmcli commands - part of them succeed and part don't. Why is that? I can create a database with regular user privileges but I can't extend it. This does not sound as designed behavior - maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It's just that MaxDB is a server product and is not developed on Windows 7 for end users.

No design bug here, just the standard permissions for end users have changed with Windows 7.

> (the dbmcli behavior looks suspicious to me because on linux/solaris it works without root privileges).

Ok - this is something completely different here.

Even as member of "Administrators" on Windows 7 you don't have all privileges...

Right now, you've to use these tools as administrator on Windows 7.

While we're at it: if there is a chance that this will be changed/adapted I highly doubt that it would happen for an old release as 7.6.

Go for 7.7 or 7.8 instead.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars for your prompt and detailed answers.