cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HA environment for Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to work on finding the best HA environment to setup for a Production environment. Could some one point me to guidelines, sdn blogs or other links which may help me in this? As well from your experience, please let me know a best option.

From Oracle side, I also want to know whether to use RAC or Failsafe - pros/cons etc.

Will appreciate your every reply

thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jerryp,

You should try running a search on SDN, you should get what you are seeking:

For RAC you can check the following FAQ Note: 581320

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here are to central entry points for HA on SDN:

[Achieving high availability for SAP solutions|]

[SAP on Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC)|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/e9071e42-0d01-0010-4bae-dafd2e524b57] [original link is broken];

You should be more specific on your requirements:

- favorite OS platform

- system availability (max. allowed downtime)

- experience with HA solutions (the best solution will fail, if you lack trained people, overall it will be worse, than a simple non HA installation)

In my experience simple solutions have the best availabilities. I have seen self built simple failover clusters work perfectly. Service Guard on HP-UX works fine but is already quite complex. Same goes for MSCS on windows. RAC in my opinion is superior if you consider availability, but even more complicated to setup properly.

You should also talk to your hardware/OS vendor, because most OS have their default solution which is known to work quite good.

Cheers Michael

PS: do not look at HA from a database only perspective, nobody wants to hear that the database is still up, while SAP has crashed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This [Link|; will be helpful for u to decide the HA setup.

Regarding the oracle DB in SAP HA setup, you can have Oracle Failover for clustering SAP application.

Hope this will be really helpful for u.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks, I shall look in to the link you have sent.

Could you please let me know why RAC should not be used?

Thanks