cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy in ECC 5.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have heard that sometimes companies who r running SAP are copied their prouduction system to their developemnt system. So my question is is it possible? if it is possible then how they do it? any help documentation any link if u have please share with me.

Thanks & Regards

Subhash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

There is system copy guides on the SAP Service Marketplace (http://service.sap.com/instguides). For SAP ECC 5.0 (mySAP ERP 2004) you should consult the system copy guide for SAP NetWeaver '04. It is in the 'installation' section under the SAP NetWEaver '04 guides.

If you replace your development system you need to evaluate how you are going to handle the potential loss of versioning and chnage history. There are some good posts on SDN forums on this in addition to the guides. Finally there are a few good SAP Notes on the these issues (http://service.sap.com/notes).

I heop this helps you, please do search SDN for other posts.

Cheers,

Mike.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely do not overwrite your development system with a copy of production! The development system tracks versions of any object or program created there. It designates something called "orginal system". The objcts will be catalogued there with their original system, and overwriting with production really screws this up, as the techniques used for tracking objects through tables like TADIR and the transport system are quite complext. Don't mess with it.

What is common is to overwrite a QA system with a copy of production. In order to do this, I would recommend to avoid the use of the SAP standard system copy techniques, which involve using SAP tools to completely export the database contents, install using the normal installation software, and importing the exported DB contents during installation. It is an extemely cumbersome process, with many steps, it's quite complex and can be rather challenging.

Instead, I would try to find someone who has developed some system copy scripts which compress data files from the DB, and move them to the QA system's filesystem. This works more readily if the filesystem layout is identical, then you can change the SID (SAPSYTEMNAME), etc. This technique can end up being much more straightforward as you avoid export / import.

You might consider a repost asking about system copy using scripts instead of export/import and see what you get. Typically these are somewhat advanced scripts that might be shared by a consultant who has worked on this before.

Regards -

Ron Silberstein,

SAP

(thanks for any points you choose to assign)

Former Member
0 Kudos

se can u help with script which does post installation steps after system copy from PRD to QAS