cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebI - free hand sql

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to WebI. I am runiing BO Xi 3.1. Does anyone know how to create a Webi report using free hand sql?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Put the SQL into a derived table in a universe, and publish it that way. There is no direct support for free hand SQL in Web Intelligence.

Alternatively you can use Crystal, which allows direct entry / maintenance of the SQL code.

0 Kudos

You CAN use free-hand SQL in WebI. Just log into the InfoView, open the report for editing (in the Java editor), go to the query editor and press on the SQL button. You can provide there your own SQL statement. Still keep in mind that your statement should have a select clause which is compatible with the query objects.

Regards,

Stratos

atul_chowdhury2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Efstratios -

I have to agree with the statement:

There is no direct support for free hand SQL in Web Intelligence.

If by "direct support" we're talking about an intuitive and manageable way to enter free-text SQL and "let Webi do the rest", then it's certainly not true. Currently, an end-user is required to endure several painstaking steps and cautions to align the SQL select of a freehand sql written in the Webi SQL pane with that's been dragged-and-dropped to the Result Objects pane in the Java Report Panel. Even after this process is finished and the user has a report, any change in # of result objects (columns) requires the user to once again re-create the SQL.

The current superior method to accomplish this is to use Desktop Intelligence, or create the derived table in a Universe as Dave mentioned.

0 Kudos

If end-user want to use free hand SQL in an ad-hoc reporting workflow they do not have to go and change the universe by adding new dervied tables. They can select the free-hand sql option as described (similarly to DeskI) and provide their own statement.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stratos, I agree that the user does not necessarily have to "change the universe by adding new derived tables" but at the same time it is certainly not similar to the way you use free-hand SQL in DESKI. For one you cannot write SQL without bringing any dimension in the query panel, then you have to make sure your select clause has the same number of attributes you have brought in the query panel etc.

- Noman Jaffery