cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am curious how many solution manager systems folks are installing in their companies.

Do you have a dev/qa/prd?

Or a sandbox and prd?

Or a dev and prd?

Are you transporting changes or putting them directly on tthe prd system.

How are you handling smd agent connectivity? Do all agents connect to both/all solution manager systems?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

1. it depends on what purpose you are uing the solution manager for.Normal recomendation is 2 system landscape, but if you perform your own additional developments you might need QAS system.

2.in 3 system landscape QAS is used for testing purpose,it serves as a buffer between the development and production, once the develpoment is done with configuration and unit testing( here the dev system can be sandbox system too0 , the config will be transported from development to Qualty server, If there is any testing bug defect found, it has again fixed by the developer and again transport to the quality server, finally it transported to the production.

3. the sandbox system(or dev) , we needs it to test support packages (SP). these patches has more different functionality,one need to test this before going to live prd system this is much use ful when we use Service Desk or ChaRM ,EHP1(SP18) can be major impacts if you move directly to the ive production system in this case you can maintain sandbox ,

4. your forth query already cleared by the above answers.

5. Solution manager Dianostics is the tool by SAP used to control , most for monitor your entire system landscape,for that you have to install SMD agent in all the satelite systems in your landscape, for the beginner level pls go through the below doc

[http://www.erpdb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/charm_diagnostic_smd.pdf|http://www.erpdb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/charm_diagnostic_smd.pdf]

hope you have been cleared.

Jansi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As per Seans last post - this confirms that the required landscape is scenario dependant

I come from a Solution Manager monitoring background therefore I suggested just one PRD system getting the changes directly - if you are using any monitoring scenarios (CCMS, EWA, SLR) etc I would ensure a satellite system is configured to only 1 Solution Manager system namely PRD for Monitoring purposes

Based on Seans last post I reckon its always good practice to have a test system though - if only to learn/play, observe changes from SAP to useage/functionality and for Service Desk, CTS and Charm scenarios which clearly require and can easily accomodate a 2 or 3 tier landscape

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a very good question because it is possible in some cases that some content will experience problems if

you point 1 satellite system to PRD Solman (for PRD use) and also to a test Solman system (to test PRD use with new SPs)

in fact some functionality may demand a 1:1 relationship - I think the answer depends on what content of

Solution Manager you are using - looks like some experts have found a way to test before PRD implementation

with Charm and Service Desk but I have found little documentation demonstrating exactly how to operate a Solution Manager three tier (or two tier) landscape

Normally custom development is not expected - although we can't rule out its possible

This however begs the question how do you test new code from SAP in your landscape - I would suggest

in caes where 1 PRD is only possible then new code would have to be put into PRD and tested in PRD at a suitable time window for testing and if it fails check with SAP (as the SPs are intended for PRD use anyway - unless otherwise stated) - the only issue could be if there are unique conditions in your PRD system that get affected by new SAP code - or indeed there is an issue with the SAP code itself, which is always a possibility too (however supported releases should get guaranteed fixes so again SAP would be available to help if the issue was specifically due to SAP code and not unique conditions in your system)

Best wishes

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

For more landscape discussion, please see my earlier remarks at