cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCoCustomRepository vs JCoRepository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello JCo Expert,

I have two questions with regards to JCoCustomRepository and JCoRepository.

1. When should I use JCoCustomRepository and when should be JCoRepository? Can I say that if the RFM interface is quite stable, then JCoCustomRepository could bring me more benefit?

2. Is there any performance difference between them? Would JCoCustomRepository always have a significant better performance than JCoRepository? Because all the meta data is local constructed?

Thanks,

Jian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the JavaDoc already answers your questions.

Excerpt:

JCoCustomRepository is designed to be be used for static/custom meta data. So if an application works with its own definition of meta data, it can store them in JCoCustomRepository.

Each JCoCustomRepository has its own cache, that wont be shared with other repository instances as it is the case with JCoRepository cache. So the custom definition of meta data is available in one instance of JCoCustomRepository only.

Note: it is strongly recommended to use the repository connected to a backend system to ensure the consistency of meta data.

In short: It is not shared with other repositories or other applications and it is critical since the consistency of meta data cannot be guarenteed - especially when it changes from release to release or even from system to system. So at least you sacrifice flexibility, reliability and the possibility for meta data sharing (leading to more overall memory consumption and less overall performance).

With static meta data it is of course more performant for getting the meta data - but only for the first request for each meta data object. After the first request it is cached anyway. So this really doesn't matter in real life scenarios.

I only would use static meta data in RFC server scenarios where the called function module is not present in the ABAP backend system and the function interface cannot be created there for whatever reason; or if I am not allowed to establish an RFC client connection to the required ABAP backend system at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan,

Thank you again for your quick response.

Jian

Answers (0)