cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross platform in PRD environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have DB and CI with HP-UX and four aplication servers.

the 4 apps are running with Linux.

In this 4 apps 1 Dialog instance is running in DEV/QAS.

can we maintain like this type of environment in PRD.

Please clarify this,

Thanks,

Harish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, this heterogenous enviroment might work well.

But personally, I won't recommend this environment landscape. As you know that Linux and HPUX has different type in Endian-ness. Linux has little endian and HPUX has big endian. It might happened some data compatibilities problem.

Different type of endian-ness may have no big issue if you are just using Linux as apps server.

That's my personal opinions, it might be different with other.

ardhian

http://sapbasis.wordpress.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

This boils down to having a heterogeneous productive system i.e. mix of HP-UX and Linux.

Is it supported by SAP: Yes.

Will it work in Production: Yes

Will it perform: Yes

Will it be cost effective: Yes

Is it the best way to do things: ....big maybe....

Here is the better question; why does having a HP-UX system bring to the table that a pure Linux environment doesnt? And the reverse question; what does Linux system bring to the table that a pure HP-UX system doesnt?

To my thinking having a herogenous environment would only offer one advantage over a pure homogenous environment. Reduction in hardware cost. But are we sure we are really saving money? The key point is you need to be very clear on the why behind this. All things being equal a pure homogenous environment will be the simplest, thus choosing to move to a heterogeneous will need to be justified, you may gain in complexity (complexity risk) but gain in price performance and even redundancy (lots of redundant servers for the same price)...all reasonable all supported but clarity is needed.

As a SAP Basis people we should draw our aim to have the most boring hardware available. In general the SAP site with most boring and invisible hardware wins!

I have had some interesting discussions around this point and the winner was; ....VMWare...opps thats just my opinion.

Edited by: Glenn Cadman on Sep 14, 2010 3:54 PM

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its surely a bad idea ( though it will work) ...

Few things i can think right away .

1. DEV/QAS not being a highly monitored systems , if someone runs high resourse intensive stuff , you would be impacting the Production system performance

2. If you have to apply OS patch , normally you would apply DEV /QAS before puting it on PRD , now you loose that option

I am sure there are many more way in which you would impacting your production env by going for such an architecture.

Regards,

Neel

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes,, this would work.

But... I do not recommend this.

Try to separate your PRD systems out of your DEV and QAS systems.