Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GR against inbound delivery

Former Member
0 Kudos

while going through the material of WM i have found 2 scenario for good receipt

1_)GR for inbound delivery_

If you work with deliveries, Warehouse Management activities (creating and confirming a transfer order) are completed before posting in Inventory Management. The goods receipt / goods issue posting always relates to the delivery.

2_)GR for purchase order_

However, the Inventory Management posting can also occur at the beginning of the process. The goods receipt / goods issue posting then generates a transfer requirement, which forms the basis for Warehouse Management activities in terms of planning and posting. A putaway or picking activity with a transfer order completes the process.

Could anybody tell me the importance/significance of both scenario from business point of view, i.e. when to use which GR process

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello..

Its basically related to implement the control.

1. Inbound & Outbound deliveries are used maximum where vendor notification & shipping process is involved, so that you can reserve the place & stock in the WAREHOUSE in case of Inbound & Outbound respectively.

2. Material Batch specific to a Plant also plays an important role here, if Batch management is active.

3. Tracking of pending TO i.e. non-confirmed TOs, becomes easy.

4. If shipping process is customized, then it gives a good control, if you make deliveries (whether inbound or outbound) first then subsequent TO creation & confirmation.

5. If you use HUs, along with Material with Serial number profile, it helps for better control in Purchase (GR), & Sales (GI).

Hope, I could give you somewhat comprehensive overview..!

Regards,

Maddy..

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you all your inputs has really helped me to understand the concept

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both the cases start with PO.Now the vendor agrees with company that they are going to send a confirmation regarding the goods delivery and may be not required.This iinformation you can check in confirmation field in PO which comes from vendor master data/purchase info record.

Scenario:

1)If confirmation with inbound delivery required,then shipping notification gets created either manuaaly or through EDI (ASN) which vendor sends.Then based on inbound delivery>TO>TO cofirmation-->GR(based on inbound delivery)>in this case we cannt post GR in reference to PO.

2)If confirmation not required then you can directly create GR in reference to PO.

Regards,

SUmit

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to use confirmation category as "Inbound Delivey" in confirmation TAB of PO for doing GR against Inbound delivery . ASN from vendors are created as Inbound Delivery in SAP. And The entire goods movement activites such as Putaway can be tracked easily with Warehouse Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

If you need to create inbound delivery document - eg. to reflect ASN (advanced shipping notification) from Vendor or interface data to WM or other warehouse management systems, then I recommend to do GR against inbound delivery.

Then such inbound delivery is 'closed' without any open quantities which might be needed for reporting, shipment status updates etc.

It is also required for interfaces with warehouse mgmt systems.

On the other hand, GR against PO is simpler to do without additional step of inbound deliveries. So if your purchasing process is simple and does not require inbound deliveries/WM, then this might be an option

Regards,

Dominik Modrzejewski