Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase the number of char in user field

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am trying to copy the description of the wbs to the userfield but the problem is wbs character is 40 and user field is max 20 . Is there any way we can increase the number of char to 40.

Kindly help me in this.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot change the length of user field. You can use this exit CNEX0007 to create your own custom tab and field, where you can accomodate 40 char.

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ahmed/ Subham

Very very thanks for the reply. My requirement is when we see the planning board there with bar chart we can wbs description and start date and finish etc thru option(Planning board).

Now in my case user want the description of the wbs but not of activity it means only wbs description should come in planning board. For that purpose i was copying wbs description into the user field and populating the userfield into the planning board.

Now because the char limit is only 20 again my solution not working. If we create new field with cnex0007 i dont know that we can get that field in planning board or not. At current i cant see any field for that in options.

Kindly guide if any solution can help me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Fields from CNEX0007 should be visible on planning board if the append to the relevant structure is followed correctly - CI_PROJ or CI_PRPS as required

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for reply. Just to confirm with more clearity as per your reply- I if we crate a new field in wbs by cnex0007 than that field will come in setting/ options/ planning board/ date bar text.

Thanks a lot for help.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek

I have checked and unfortunately the fields do not appear in planning board and CN41 as it is a mixture of all project elements. However if you run individual overviews then it is fine like CN42N etc

Anyway this does not solve your problem.

One way is to use the user field and populate only the short ID of the project - you can reduce this short ID of the project by using Mask ID feature

Regards

Virendra

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

There is one field in wbs ref elem in wbs which is also having 40 char. I can use this field but the problem is same again its not coming in options. Is there any way we can add field in options for planning board. If we can add the field than i can use ref. elem or also i can use cnex0007 for new field.

Kindly suggest can we do some development for this.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Abhishek, Ref Elem is used for PM/PS assignment.

What you can do is, ask your ABAPer how the values are picked up in those fields when you press f4, is it from any table or using some FM..and see whether you can append the custom field in it.

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for contribution. I will discuss the issue with my abaper and post the same on sdn.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

former_member711289
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

This is to inform you all that i work on this issue with my abaper. We are able to append a new field in option- planning board-date bar text. I used ref. elem. for that purpose, field adpsp. But still problem is not solved. Even though we are able to append the field and i can select the field in options but finally this field is not coming in planning board.

Kindly suggest if any thing else can be done for this requirement.

Regards

Abhishek Sinha

shubham_kiyawat
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I dont think that you can increase the length as it is a standard field.

What's the use basically?

Your WBS description is automatically copied in long text where if you want you can add more text or some brief description as well.

Thanks