cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPS and MRP question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

There are two kinds of planning run (i.e. MPS and MRP). I have few questions on this.

1 - Do I need to setup two background jobs, one for MPS job, and another follow by MRP job, in the system?

2 - Can I just run MPS using MD40 (total MPS run) without perform MRP run (i.e. using any of the MD02)?

3 - Does MPS ONLY plan one level only? in another word, all the second level onward will require another separate MRP run to show all the subsequent level dependent requirement?

4 - if there is one FG, and it has 2nd level of semi-FG bom compenent, the semi-FG has another level of semi-FG and subseuqently Raw material level. In this kind of scenario with many level, it is good practise and it SHOULD use MPS to first plan for the first level FG? and later subsquent level use MRP to plan? Am I correct?

thanks.

tuffy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tuffy,

1 - Do I need to setup two background jobs, one for MPS job, and another follow by MRP job, in the system?

It dependents on business requirement

But yes you can set up two seperate background jobs

2 - Can I just run MPS using MD40 (total MPS run) without perform MRP run (i.e. using any of the MD02)?

Yes you can

3 - Does MPS ONLY plan one level only? in another word, all the second level onward will require another separate MRP run to show all the subsequent level dependent requirement?

Yes

Also we have option to take to lower level component level in MPS

4 - if there is one FG, and it has 2nd level of semi-FG bom compenent, the semi-FG has another level of semi-FG and subseuqently Raw material level. In this kind of scenario with many level, it is good practise and it SHOULD use MPS to first plan for the first level FG? and later subsquent level use MRP to plan? Am I correct?

Yes you are correct

But again here the catch would be whether to define materail at MPS level or not

It again depends on business requirement

Regards

Madhu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No,

You can MD40 and then MD02

Usually Only those materials which affect companies profit will be taken for MPS, hence few materials will be available for A importance, so you run level by level for MPS, rest will run under MD02, it depends on the business process.

When running MRP using transaction MD02 and MD41, what the difference should be?

There is no difference in the processing logic as such. The only difference is that MPS only acts on materials with an MRP type relevant to MPS (e.g. M0, M1, etc...), and MRP acts on materials with an MRP type relevant to MRP (e.g. PD). How the materials are processed is exactly the same.

This functionality allows you to run MRP for 2 sets of materials separately (and with a different frequency).

For example, some businesses may do planning for their finished goods once per week, but would want to run MRP for their

components daily (although this is generally not necessary with SAP). So, for this example, you would define all finished goods with an MRP type relevant for MPS, and all components with an MRP relevant.

Basically, MPS is a form of MRP that concentrates planning on parts or products that greatly influence the company profits or those that require critical resources. Items marked as master schedule items can be finished goods, assemblies or raw materials. These items are selected for separate MPS run that takes place before the MRP planning run. MPS run is executed without any BOM explosion. This is to allow the MRP controller to ensure that the master schedule items are correctly planned before any detailed MRP run take place.

As you can see, there are not too differences if you review MRP and MPS isolated, but lets think the BIG PICTURE, and can find the difference is just an procedure stuff:

1: RUN MPS (tcode: MD40). SAP do the planning run multilevel, also considering the MRP materials.

2: Do the the necesary MANUAL changes in your MPS materials Planned Orders, remember that the planning run is "JUST AN ADVICE" and never can replace the human decision. Here, you have your MPS Plan, and also the consumtion Plan (dependant requirements)

3: Then, with the dependant requirements OK (acording to MPS's Materials Planned Orders), do MRP RUN (tcode: MD01). The MRP run dont change the MPS plan.

The idea of MPS and MRP is to "separate" materials, in order you can run "masive process" in order. The algorith of mps and mrp are the same. Both work with the PlanTime Fences and Fixation types, rescheduling is the same, and so on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajas,

You reply very helpful.

But can you replied my listed question on point form.

I would appreciate that.

Thanks

Tuffy