cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for hostname hardcoding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We can provide the hostname/IP address in SLD/Technical Systems and also in Communication channels as well.

Which one is recommended by SAP and which one overrides the other? I know I can do a simple test to find out myself but do not have enough authorizations for various components. Can anyone help me with this question?

Per my understanding creating Technical systems in SLD is to keep the control at one place and away from the developers so that things won't flow to the wrong system if someone mistakenly puts inappropriate hostname (Q for Dev etc).

But I am also hearing that Communication channel can not read from SLD in practice and could lead to some failures. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Per my understanding creating Technical systems in SLD is to keep the control at one place and away from the developers so that things won't flow to the wrong system if someone mistakenly puts inappropriate hostname (Q for Dev etc).

This is wrong.

> But I am also hearing that Communication channel can not read from SLD in practice and could lead to some failures.

This is correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

SLD is the central repository of information in PI landscape.

Before dealing with any system, whether its third party or SAP system or any other system, PI has to have the information of that system.

This information is maintained in SLD (Technical system), it is to know with which type of system PI is communicating.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60a44163-4ff8-2c10-839e-af7cdf58f...

For PI scenarios, hostname or IP address is not retrieved from SLD at runtime.

It has to be mentioned in the communication channels.

After transports (suppose from Dev To QA), this information is not transported, as the QA system of PI may require to connect to QA system of Application system whose IP address/Hostname would be different than its Dev system(Application system).

-Supriya.

laszlo_lakatos
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello John,

the hostnames in the SLD can't be used in XI scenarios: the XI runtime (in the call adapter pipeline step) reads the address of the targetsystem all the time from the communication channel.

The SLD (technical systems) is used instead as a system landscape description/catalog, the aim of this is different.

Regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well , it is depends on which type of system it is. if it is an SAP system it can be controlled by SLD very well

if it is thirdparty Communication channel needs to be maintained with host/ip...

let me know if you are looking for something else.

alex_cook
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

In my experience (and I don't know if this is true for all installations), the host names in communication channels are not transported as part of the configuration and you need to manually maintain these parameters in each environment.

If you're lucky enough that your outbound/inbound directories are on the PI server itself then you can use localhost or 127.0.0.1 which will be common with all environments.

I haven't seen a communication channel which can retrieve the hostname from the SLD so I don't know if it's possible.

Cheers

Alex