Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archivelink, OAOR, setting viewer inplace doesn't work for class name PREL

kkostek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I use archivelink. I configured repository (OAC0) using HTTP content server. I add protocol HTTP to configuration. In OAOR transaction I can see a documents stored by OAWD transaction. In OAG1 transaction I set option Include ECL Control. When I activated in-place option in OAOR transaction. I can view document from class name for example PICTURES in inplace viewer but when I want to view a documents from a class PREL the viewer is open in new window. The area for a viewer i OAOR transaction is empty. I want to view image TIF documents joined to PREL class using inplace function. What am I doing wrong? How can I resolve this problem? Any suggestions?

My operating system: Windows XP. SAP system: SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7. SAP GUI: for Windows in version 720.

Regards

Kaz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kazz,

Kindly check in SPRO in maintain classes and characteristics. You need to maintain the classes here first. If you change class then it will not work at a time for two classes. This is standard function in SAP.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ravindra

kkostek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra.

I can't see in SPRO under archivelink tree any information about class name PICTURES so I can't compare with class PREL.

I checked settings joined with PREL, but anyone tell us about display method in standard transaction. Any ideas?

Regadrs,

Kaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra

May I respectfully request that you kindly stop posting back to threads that you have no understanding of. This thread has nothing to do with the classes and characteristics found in SAP DMS. It relates to Class Type found in ArchiveLink and if you understood ArchiveLink you would know this. ArchiveLink is regularly asked about in Document Management because it relates to storing of documents against transactions and is an alternative to SAP DMS because it works better in some cases. Guessing answers doesn't help present you in a positive manner to other forum users and only exposes your lack of knowledge in a particular area. It also sends people on a wild goose chase looking at areas that have no relevance to the question the person is asking. In short, if you don't fully understand a question, don't answer it, its less helpful giving the wrong answer than no answer because other people viewing the thread may also try these options.

In this particular case, the answer to the question is actually transaction OAA3 and/or OAG4 which is where the method of viewing is configured for ArchiveLink.

Regards,

Athol

Former Member
0 Kudos

I completely agree with Athol Hill.

Ravindra's posts(not all) are generally guesswork and for sake of points. Moderators must observe this user and if required freeze temporailiy his account as several times his solutions are misleading users and we get misguided.

Regds,

MGN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

The intention of answers is always to help people. I have seen your posts also. After the solution also you have asked questions? It doen't mean that you don't know means you need not help or try to sort out the issues.

Important thing, this is not the place to write such things.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you're talking about this post () the reason I asked questions is because there is one of 3 ways he could be storing documents, using the create attachment function in GOS in MM03, using the Store business document option in GOS in MM03, or using the Create DMS document option which believe or not is actually possible from the object link areas in MM03 if you've configured it properly. If you knew this, you would understand why I asked the question. Sure, I could assume that the problem is related to the PC data carrier as the error he receive related to PC, but its simpler to clarify the problem with the person before giving advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moderators,

Kindly see this post carefully. I don't remember that the user Mark Mogensen is replied by me somewhere but still he know that my posts are misguiding.

I personally requesting to audit all my posts. If found misguiding then you can freeze my account on the spot.

But if you found it ok as per forum rules then take actions on the two users Mark Mogensen and Athol Hill.

These users have broken the forum rules as such kind of postings are not allowed in this forum.

Thanking to all DMS users for support.

- Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra

Whether its your intention to help is not the question. All I'm saying is if you don't understand the question (which clearly you didn't in this case), please don't answer because all you do is send someone looking in the wrong place.

I'm quite happy to point out at least 5 posts where this has happened, but I don't see the purpose of doing this.

regards

Athol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

I really appretiate this answer. Let me brief, many people learn lot of things from the SDN as it's very good platform to support our working and learning. Also there are lot of users who has not worked on few areas of DMS, it differs from user to user.

Now I am not saying "who is wrong or who is correct". But in many threads when we reply afterwards somebody gives the correct reply ( it can be yourself, myself or somebody else). So what we learn is that the next time we need to be correct.

And I also accept that there are few areas which I don't have hands on experience,may be therotical only. This is applicable to all , hope you will also accept this.

The question was that this is not place where we can discuss this. If you know correct answer, please post it. We also learn from it. but we need to motivate the people for learning and finding out the solutions.

Henceforth, I will also take care of such cases. Hope you will also motivate us to finding out the solutions. We should avoid "who is wrong and who is correct". We should not restrict the users for posting replies. Sometimes it may be wrong.

I will take care from my side in future.

I hope this will close this type of discussion which I also not want to extend and you also don't like.

Thanks,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra

I think this is exactly part of the problem. A lot of people think that SDN is here to provide learnings to consultants when in reality, the purpose of this is not to help newbies or potential consultants learn, but to provide the best answers to problems for customers. The idea is not that consultants should have the opportunity to post answers to questions and be corrected if they are wrong, the purpose is for consultants to post answers to questions when they are sure they are right. Yes, they won't be right all the time, but they should at least be sure about it, rather than guessing.

I also don't think people are fully aware of the problems their answers create. As an example, I cringe every time I see someone ask how to do an object link to a purchase order. The reason for this is because some new consultant is always going to post the way to do it. The reason this is a problem is that SAP DMS should not be used for invoices, so in effect, all they are doing is giving the consultant/customer a work around to solve the problem in the wrong way. This may not seem like an issue, but the cost implications of doing is are astronomical when the company builds an entire solution on SAP DMS, including workflow, and then has to re-migration this solution to the correct area in a couple of years when they find out. In reality, this little post could cost a couple a couple of hundred thousand dollars. The roll on effect is even more damaging, because they get given points for the correct answer, so the next time they post exactly the same thing. Other people see the post and before you know it, there are 100 customers out there who have implemented the wrong solution to solve a problem and nobody knows why.

As another example, I sometimes see someone suggested a user reinstall a content server without knowing the nature of the problem. There are cost implications to this advice, particularly where the basis skills are provided by a third party. In some cases, company X may provide SAP DMS skills while company Y provides basis. When he tells the basis consultant to reinstall the content server, the cost is on the company, not on the consultant.

This problem often stems from a lack of knowledge on the consultants side because they are self taught and therefore haven't bothered to understand the basic architecture behind content management in SAP. This means they don't understand what documents should be stored where and see SAP DMS as a total solution to solve all problems. This is one of the reasons why SAP is pushing to stop people posting beginner questions on SDN where the consultants haven't bothered to attend training because its the customer that suffers, not the consultant. If the consultant learns the correct way later, it doesn't affect him, the customer on the other hand has a solution built in the wrong area of SAP that doesn't support growth or expansion of technologies because they aren't integrated into that area.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Henceforth, I will take care for replying only to those thread which I know perfectly or sure about the answer.

Hope we can close this discussion now because I understood what exactly you want to say.

Thanking you,

Ravindra