cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database shows growth very quickly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have BW system , the last week I upgraded it , but the data base grown quickly.

what do I do in the system ?

Regards

Graciela

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graciela,

As indicated this is common.

You should be able to use the SQL Server management studio to shrink the database down and remove any excess empty space. I would suggest that you use the backup function first - it is quite possible that it won't allow you to run shrink until you have carried oiut a full backup. You won't want to do this during prime working hours as it will impact performance.

If you don't have sufficient disk space to complete the backup process, then you can direct the backup to create the backup file elsewhere, say on a network or external drive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Sven mentioned, Please provide the before and after size of the database. It is not suggested shrinking database in SQL Server as it may have lot of negative impact on the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before After

data1 21 gb 42 gb

data2 20 gb 40 gb

data3 21 gb 41 gb

log 5 gb 10 gb

Regards

Graciela

Former Member
0 Kudos

These numbers looks normal to me.

Thanks

Mush

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

same here, I don't see any reasons to panic.

maybe you forgot to delete old PSAPE6** tablespaces? this is clearly mentioned in the upgrade guide.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your response

Regards

Graciela

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks normal to me as well. Please check in Tx DBACOCKPIT how much space is actually allocated. It could be that you have a lot of free space in your database.

maybe you forgot to delete old PSAPE6** tablespaces? this is clearly mentioned in the upgrade guide.

I don't think so. Eric, it's SQL Server

Regards,

Sven

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is normal,

an upgrade has an impact on the database usage, especially during the upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response, is normal that database grown 100 % ?

Regards

Graciela

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please provide us a few numbers before and after the upgrade. A DB growing from 50 GB to 100 GB could be normal. Growing from 500 GB to 1 TB is rather unusual.

Sven