cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming e-mails not received, but ESMTP is running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I've configured the system for receiving e-mails. It worked for some time and then stopped. As far as I know no changes are made. I've restarted the server. I tried the test described in SAP Note 607108 - Problem analysis when sending or receiving e-mails. this is the result:

220 sapsid.wertr.local SAP 7.00(52) ESMTP service ready
mail from:<pit at wertr.com>
250 Ok
rcpt to:<petary at sapsid.wertr.local>
250 Ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "."
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2010 16:00:00
Subject: test testeetete

gggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Connection to host lost.

C:\

I've set the profile parameters, configured TC SCOT, enabled SAPConnect service in SICF...

icm/server_port_0	PROT=HTTP,PORT=8000
icm/server_port_1	PROT=SMTP,PORT=25000,TIMEOUT=300
is/SMTP/virt_host_0	*:25000;

What could cause the process stopping in the middle?

Any help will be much appreciated!

I've made the same settings on other systems and they all work perfect.

Best regards,

Petar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

As your inbound email worked for some time something must have been changed So I would start like below:-

(1) Goto transaction SICF -> SAPconnect -> Tab "Logon data" and verify that the user that runs the service has the S_A.SCON

profile. To test this I use my own user (as a Basis Admin I have SAP_ALL, SAP_NEW) and see if you can telnet into the SMTP Plug-in.

(2) The SAPconnect queue could be in debug mode. Goto transaction SCOT and enter dbg+ into the transaction field. You should see the notification "Queue for incoming messages is active". You can also test this by telnet into the SMTP Plugin.

If both these suggestions do not help increase the trace level of the ICM to 2 (SMICM -> Goto -> Trace level -> Set 2") and paste the trace of when you try to telnet into the SMTP Plugin.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

(1) - I've checked the user - it is type system and has the profile S_A.SCON. For the test I used my own which has SAP_ALL & SAP_ALL_NEW. The telnet test filed again.

(2) - I've checked in SCOT the queue status using command DBG+ and the system returned the message "Queue for incoming messages is active", just as you wrote. I do not know how to test this via telnet.

(3) - I've increased the trace level to 2 and tested the connection via telnet again. After waiting more than 5 minutes I've received the message "554 Transaction failed". The trace file is too big and I do not know how to include it here or which parts you are interested of. I've compressed it and uploaded it here: [http://rapidshare.com/files/418825228/dev_icm.zip]

I hope you could have a look at it and find out what is wrong.

Thanks,

Petar

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the trace. After reviewing the trace I can see that the connection is correctly established with the ICM. So the problem is with either the SICF service or inbound mail processing and not creating the connection. So we are getting closer

Please proceed with the following:-

(1) After you updated the user in SICF did you reactivate the service ? You need to right click on SAPconnect -> Activite Service.

(2) Can you check inbound mail processing and disable them for testing (Make sure you know how to recreate the settings after you have confirmed that inbound mail is working):-

(a) Goto transaction SO28 -> Delete entries

(b) Goto transaction SCOT -> Settings -> Inbound Processing -> Delete Entries

After you have checked both these settings you can telnet back into the ICM to test that mail is received.

P.S. You can use program RSBCSIN to view all inbound mails for your system.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

(1) - The service SAPConnect in SICF is acive. I always reactivate it after every change in its settings I made.

(2) - I disabled all inbound processing:

. (a) - SO28 - I deleted all lines

. (b) - SCOT - I deleted all lines about the Inbound processing

This is the result of the telnet test:

220 bg-var-4.springconsulting.local SAP 7.00(52) ESMTP service ready
helo bg-var-py-1
250 bg-var-4.springconsulting.local
mail from:<pitedb at edb.com>
250 Ok
rcpt to:<petary at bg-var-4.springconsulting.local>
250 Ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "."
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2010 14:00:00
Subject: test new settings

poiuytrewq123456
554 Transaction failed
quit
221 bg-var-4.springconsulting.local Bye

Connection to host lost.
C:\>

The program RSBCSIN returns a list for the period the incoming e-mail was functioning - 07-29.07.2010. There are no records for later received e-mails.

I will restore the records in SO28 and SCOT.

Do you have any idea what is wrong? Do you need more information?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check whether the RFC to email program is working fine you can find it in SM59 TCP/IP connections..

Check the defualt domain configuration and do the routing test ..

If every thing is fine check the Node settings whether for Internet have u given the format as "*"...

Check with ur OS admin to send a test email from the physical box where your server is hosted..

Thanks,

Subhash.G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

I do not know what this RFC should look like - I've read in the SAP help I must define it, but couldn't find any information what exactly it should point to. I did not define any special RFC and the service worked normally. I configured some other systems in the same manner and there are no problems sending and receiving e-mails.

The default domain is set. How can I do the routing test?

The settings for the SMTP node are a bit different. There is a filtering in the address area like "*domain.com" because we should limit the e-mail sending.

What do you mean by "send a test email from the physical box where your server is hosted"?

I've installed a test mail server on another host and configured it for routing to different SAP systems according the e-mail domains and it works fine with all other systems. It worked with this system too. Telnet test was passed successfully many times before the system stopped receiving e-mails.

Thanks,

Petar

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Just tested this with my system and I could replicate your problem. Please enter dbg- into the transaction field and I could receive mail into SBWP. Can you check this and see if your problem is still existing.

P.S. As the ICM accepts the connection it has to be (1) The user for SICF SAPconnect service (2) Inbound routing rules (3) Inbound queue debugging is activitated. There is no other possibility !

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I've run the command DBG- in transaction SCOT and I've received the status message "Queue for incoming messages deactivated". Then I sent a test e-mail and it was received immediately in the system - I could see it running the report RSBCSIN.

I received the test mails in the SBWP Inbox too. I also checked the log of the mail server and all the records were fine - the communication between the mail and the SAP server was finished successfully with code:

"SENT: [nl]."
"RECEIVED: 250 OK"

So someone had activated the DEBUG mode...

Two more question:

(1) Will it be possible to process incoming e-mails while the Queue for incoming messages is deactivated?

(2) Are there other useful commands like DBG-/+ in SCOT?

Many thanks Michael!

Petar

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Petar,

In answer to your questions:-

(1) Will it be possible to process incoming e-mails while the Queue for incoming messages is deactivated?

(A) Yes this is the default mode for accepting mails. The dbg+ should only be used for SAP support to check inbound routing rules. Productive use should only use dbg-

(2) Are there other useful commands like DBG-/+ in SCOT?

(A) No these are the only "undocumented" commands in SCOT

P.S. Congrats on getting the system to accept mails

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Michael once again for the help!

Best regards,

Petar

Answers (0)