Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup MAXDB - Standby Database

ritesh_bhatia2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been asked to setup the High Availability for the Database (MAXDB) which can reduce the downtime:

I have been throug note 952783, from that I came to conclusion that we can go with STANDBY Database with logshiped on regular interval's, with this i will have the downtime of only few mins.

I have the following Setup on my production server:

SAP ECC 6,

Maxdb 7.6

Database size 290 GB

Windows 2003 64 bit platform in cluster mode: 2 nodes sharing a common storage.

Please guide me for setup a Standby database with my current setup. also suggest do i need to install it on a separate stoarge box.

Regards,

Ritesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> I have been asked to setup the High Availability for the Database (MAXDB) which can reduce the downtime:

>

> I have been throug note 952783, from that I came to conclusion that we can go with STANDBY Database with logshiped on regular interval's, with this i will have the downtime of only few mins.

>

> I have the following Setup on my production server:

>

> SAP ECC 6,

> Maxdb 7.6

>

> Database size 290 GB

>

> Windows 2003 64 bit platform in cluster mode: 2 nodes sharing a common storage.

>

>

> Please guide me for setup a Standby database with my current setup. also suggest do i need to install it on a separate stoarge box.

How about using the SDN search??

There are even WIKI entries with exsamples for the required log shipping scripts.

[HowTo - Standby DB log shipping|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/HowTo-StandbyDBlog+shipping]

Whether or not you want to use a separate storage system depends on what you want to be protected against.

If you want protection against "user error", e.g. deleting the wrong data on DB level, then you might stick to just one storage.

But in general you want a standby db to be protected against "general failure". This would include hardware failure, location desaster etc.

Therefore: different server, different storage, different location!

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos