Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed and variable sample quantities during goods receipt

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a scenario of container based receipt of raw material. Number of primary samples is calculated as square root of number of containers. My requirement is to have a fixed quantity of 20 gm (reserved sample) irrespective of number of containers plus 1 gm sample for each of the containers. This means if 4 containers come, the calculated sample quantity in the inspection lot has to be 20+2*1=22 gm. How should i maintain the sample drawing procedure/ sampling procedure and inspection plan to get this? Raw materials are recieved in kgs.

Regards

Sm.

Edited by: Sm on Sep 6, 2010 10:45 PM

Edited by: Sm on Sep 6, 2010 10:50 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hii,

Simple. Just goto qcco>Quality planning>Sample-->Define valuation mode. Here define valuation Rules for Sample determination and using Abaper create Function module program for sample valuation.

In program u can define the logic on sample calculation and how the system want to determine samples.U can also define formula based on lot size and runs this program within defined loop. Then assign Function module program to the valuation rule and then to valuation mode. I think this will help u.

If to avoid Abaper help, try ur scenario with sampling Scheme procedures.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lokesh,

I shall check this option of function module and revert.

Regards

Sm.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand/Lokesh,

Sorry for the late reply, was checking out all the options. Using function module is time-consuming and comparatively more complicated than the standard sample drawing procedure or sampling schemes. Even in that the reserve sample quantity after being calculated in the sample quantity is not proposed separately in the reserve sample field of stock posting tab of UD screen. That means the reserve quantity even if it is calculated in sample usage, has to be subtracted manually from it and put separately in the reserve field.

However, one thing is still intriguing. In most of the industries, in a simple scenario of pooled container based sampling, companies have a policy of taking the same fixed quantity from each of the container and combine them into a pooled sample. So if the fixed quantity is 10 gm, and there are 4 containers during GR, there will be 4 10gm samples and a pooled sample of 40gm. Result recording and UD will be done against the 40gm pooled sample. So the logical flow is first determining the quantity to be sampled per container as per policy, then the number of containers as per sample drawing procedure recommended as per policy and then the total quantity of sample. However to achieve the same thing in SAP i have to first put the 40gm as base quantity in the inspection plan for the material and then create a sample drawing procedure where system will apportion this 40gm into 4 primary and 1 pooled sample. Then system allows me to record result and give UD against the pooled sample. So here the logical flow is opposite, first i have to know the total quantity of sample required then i can have the system telling me the quantity to be sampled per container after it calculates the number of containers from sample drawing procedure. How can i possibly predict the total sample quantity as long as i don't know the number of containers?

Is there any gap in my understanding? Can experts please help?

Regards

Sm.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Please give your opinions

Regards

Sm.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

This thread is being closed. No concrete solution has been received.

Regards

Sm.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Waiting for your suggestions.

Regards

Sm.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SM,

It seems that your sample size is fixed. Why donu2019t you use fixed sampling procedure in this case?

There are few aspects / assumptions to this

1. Sample size can never be greater than the lot size.

2. The unit of samples remains the same as it was inwarded. (In your case it would be kgs and cannot be in gms).

My queries are,

1. What is the co-relation between container and sample? One container contains how many kgs of raw material?

2. Whether any alternative unit is maintained to co-relate container and kgs?

3. How you have arrived at figure 22gms? 20+21=22 gm* If 20 gms is fixed as per your requirement and plus 1 per container, so here it should be 4*1 (since number of containers are 4). Whether 2 you have calculated as square root of 4?

Best Regards,

Anand Rao

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thanks for the reply.

Sample size can never be greater than the lot size.

Ok, it will never be.

The unit of samples remains the same as it was inwarded. (In your case it would be kgs and cannot be in gms).

Let's say that everything is in kg.

What is the co-relation between container and sample? One container contains how many kgs of raw material?

The only co-relation is that from each container i have to take 0.001kg. One container may contain 10, 15, 25, 50, 75 and 100kg of raw material.

Whether any alternative unit is maintained to co-relate container and kgs?

Till now not maintained.

How you have arrived ........ Whether 2 you have calculated as square root of 4?

Yes, 2 is the square root of number of container, so for the second part of my sample (the variable part) i have to take 2*0.001 kg i.e. 0.002 kg. The fixed part, whatever be the number of containers, is 0.020 kg. So total sample now is 0.022 kg.

Please suggest the way to address this scenario. With a fixed sampling procedure i have no idea how to factor in the variable part of the sample as per the square root of the number of containers received.

Regards

Sm.

Edited by: Sm on Sep 8, 2010 6:03 PM

Edited by: Sm on Sep 8, 2010 6:06 PM

Edited by: Sm on Sep 8, 2010 6:08 PM

Edited by: Sm on Sep 8, 2010 6:10 PM

Edited by: Sm on Sep 8, 2010 7:06 PM

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand / Other experts,

Can anybody advise ?

Regards

Sm.

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Waiting for your suggestions.

Regards

Sm.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

*Reserve sample:

In sample drawing we directly assign the reserve sample ie., 20 gm (t.code:QPV2).I thnk there is no issue.

Primary sample:

Could you explan me what logic your using lot container to KG?

Thanks and Regards,

Vairavan.P

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vairavan,

In sample drawing we directly assign the reserve sample ie., 20 gm (t.code:QPV2).I thnk there is no issue.

The problem here is that when you get your inspection lot, in sample quantity it will consider the reserve sample but during UD system will not propose the reserved sample sgainst the entry "to reserves". This will require manual intervention. For large number of lots in production this may lead to errors.

Could you explan me what logic your using lot container to KG?

I think you want a clarification on whether i am using KG as an unit for lot container. Actually my lot container unit is not KG but it is NOS. KG is the unit for my inspection lots which are created as and when i receive incoming material in KG. Please revert if you need some other clarification.

Regards

Sm.

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello SM,

Please excuse for so late reply.

To the best of my knowledge it may not be feasible to calculate sample size by means of any mathematical formula. I would suggest following 2 alternatives for this. Try if works for you.

1. Go with sampling scheme option while creating sampling procedure, where you define the sample size against lot size. E.g. if the lot size is 4 (in your case 4 containers) then define sample size as 22 gms. Like wise you have to go on defining the samples considering how many kgs would be there per container. But if the container and kg combination is random and variable this may not work.

2. Another way is to put the sample manually. Go to material master QM View. In inspection set up tick on Trigger Sample Calculation Manually. As a result of which, whenever inspection lot will be generated it would be without sample size. You have go to change inspection lot tab and put the sample size manually there. In other words, calculate sample size outside the system and put manually.

Best Regards,

Anand Rao

Subh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

You are right.

1. The container and kg combination is random and so this will not work.

2. The manual sample calculation seems to be the only available option till now.

Regards

Sm.