cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client strategy for DEV system in an implementation proj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can some one advise a good client strategy for an impl project? here's and example and questions i have. if you have a better strategy, pls advise. We want to follow this on ECC 6 DEV system -

10 - Sandbox (play around before doing config - no transports)

20 - Golden client (do real config here, and do development here - transports will start from here)

30 - Test client (for SCC1 testing)

I am assuming I should do DEVELOPMENT in the same golden client - does that make sense? Else, which should i have a new client? in that case, how will transports move?

Thanks for all your help

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jerryp,

Our customer has similar setup:

100 - Sandpit

200 - Dev and Cust

300 - Testing

400 - Sandpit 2

Whenever we need to do any unit tests in client 300, we copy over customizing by using SCC1 transaction (client copy via transport request).

For example whatever development (code or customizing) we do in 200 is copied over to 300 by SCC1. This ensures the client dependent customizing is in sync with client 300 without destroying data.

Also, periodically we refresh client 100 and 400 and with data and customizing from 300. No development client independent changes are possible in the sandpit and testing clients.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am assuming I should do DEVELOPMENT in the same golden client - does that make sense? Else, which should i have a new client? in that case, how will transports move?

Development is client independent. So your developments will show up in all clients. Separate clients can only be used for client dependent customizing/data.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Development is client independent. So your developments will show up in all clients.

How do you transport the dev objects? Would you create a new transport request and add the new objects manually? Else, how would you transport the objects / transports maintained in another client?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once you are making the development objects which are client independant in Golden client then automatically all those developments will be applicable or availble in sandbox and test client. No need to transport them for clients with the same system. Only customizing which are client dependant need to copied through SCC1 for client with in same systems. When you are creating or configuring in Golden client it has to saved in to transport requests after you make the client setting transport allowed.(which I guess you are aware of)

Only when you want to move development or customizing objects to next system then you have release the request and move it through proper STMS configuration.

Hope clarified.

Regards,

Sharath