cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open file 'C:WINNTsapmsg.ini' failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm connecting to SAP using load balancing, setting the following properties of a destination object:

SAPSystemName

LogonGroup

MsgServerHost

Client

Username

Password

Language

When I open the connection I get a RfcException on some systems with the message "Open file 'C:\WINNT\sapmsg.ini' failed".

The file "sapmsg.ini" is installed in the SAPGUI directory "C:\Programme\SAPpc\SAPgui".

On most of the systems in our company it's also installed in the windows directory and everything works correctly. But on new installed systems it's only in "C:\Programme\SAPpc\SAPgui" and so the connection fails.

Is the windows directory the standard location of this file? Our SAP administration says C:\Programme\SAPpc\SAPgui is the standard directory.

Can I tell NCO the location of this file?

Thanks

Markus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Solution given by Mr. Chakrapani worked for me for IDES system.

Thanks,

Madhu.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm getting the same error: Open file 'C:\WINDOWS\sapmsg.ini' failed

This error occurs when we try to open the BEx Query Designer, the BEx Web Application Designer and the BEx Analyzer in a Citrix Server.

Anyone has an idea on how to solve this problem?

Best regards,

Rui Romba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Romba,

I had the same error and fixed it like this:

1. Create new file sapmsg.ini with following content:

<SID>=<IP-Adress>

e.g.

BEW=10.0.0.23

and save the file and copy it to C:\Windows\

2. Open file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\services and add the following line:

sapms<SID> 36xx/tcp (where xx is the system nr)

e.g.

sapmsBEW 3600/tcp

This fixed the problem for me.

Regards,

Jann

reiner_hille-doering
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sapmsg.ini is opend by LIBRFC32 - not NCo directly. I don't exactly know under which conditions it searches for it in which directory. You can look into RFC SDK documentation for details (this is install with SAPGUI).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Please try to resolve the problem by setting the following environment variable:

RFC_LOGON_INI_PATH=<PATH_TO_SAPGUI_DIRECTORY>

Regards,

Guangwei Li

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had same error message when I tried to use the .NET Connector. Here is how we resolved this issue.

1. Make sure sapmsg.ini exists(if not create) and has following content

[Message Server]

DEV=SAPDEV

This can be different based on your system id.

2. Make sure in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file, an entry for message sevice exists as shown below,

sapmsDEV 3600/tcp

This can be different based on your system id.

3. When connecting using the .NET Connector proxy generator, use the Logon Groups instead of server logon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chakrapani,

We are also facing the same issue.. Can u please let me know the procedure to fix this..

I got the following error Open file 'C:\WINNT\sapmsg.ini' failed and checked sapmsg.ini file in both windows and programs directory . But unfortunately i could not find the file. Can u please let me know the exact location of the file . If not found then what could be the alternate way to fix this.

1) Presently we r using SAP dot net connector version 2

2) Is it mandatory to uninstall SAP GUI & install it again

3) This is the exact error i am getting:

Error: An unhandled exception of type 'SAP.Connector.RfcException' occurred in sap.connector.dll

Additional information: Open file 'C:\WINDOWS\sapmsg.ini' failed

Please help me out!!!!!

Edited by: ARCHANA RADHAKRISHNAN on Aug 13, 2009 7:35 AM

former_member209710
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Expert,

I have also the same problem when adding application server to the SAP,I'm getting Open file 'C:\WINDOWS\sapmsg.ini' failed when clicking on BOR and Functions.

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards,

Sujata