cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing Homogeneous Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a database of size aroung 800GB.We had purchased a new blade server (Unix O.S.) on which wanted to create a Copy of existing Proudciton system.Would like to have an advice, whcih method should i approach for i.e. should I go with Homogeneous copy or the fresh Insatallation with DB restore.Also would request to kindly suggest the link or the document from where referening the same I could perform the Copy Activity.

Wanted to knw on your exprince what amount of Downtime would be required on production during this activity with the database size I have.

Kindly suggest the needful.

Regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Going by the nature of your requirment ( copying prduction ) , homogenous system copy using Backup Restore should be the best option. The SAP system copy guide should be good enough for you as a guide.

Regards,

Neel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Amit,

If you are going to use same System(32/64 bit), same OS, same DB. You can use backup and restoration.

For 800 GB, you required only 4 - 6 hours downtime. In the while, you can start fresh installation.

That will save your Time and reduce Downtime.

For System copy, the downtime will be more.

If there is ant change in the System wise or OS wise or DB wise, System copy is recommended.

Otherwise, Backup and restoration itself sufficient with less downtime.

With regards,

Luckshmanan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

I would prefer you do a Homogenous system copy... do a backup and restore during the installation itself.

This will save you lot of time.

Regards,

SBK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is an very good guide available on sapbasisconsultant.com

I am not sending the exact link as you need to register to the site first. This is was very helpful when i did the homogenous copy first time.

Cheers!!!

'Elnino

Former Member
0 Kudos

refer

Based on the SAP release and DB that you have, look for a system copy guide in the service market place.

There are many SDN posts available on the same subject. Please use SDN search.