cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 - How to proceed?

0 Kudos

Dear experts,

We are planning to install SRM-MDM catalog in our company and I was assigned to identify the requirements for that product installation. However after reviewing several notes and guides, I was not able to finally figure it out. Then I started looking here and I've found two posts with similar question...but I'm still not sure if MDM should be installled before installing SRM-MDM catalog 3.0, or it can be installed directly after having all requirements (NTW JAVA installed) ready?

Related posts:

Please help me clarifying this.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

As replied in one of the question, I'm explaining the same with brief detail.

*Always follow SAP's recommendation on Installing a software product.*

There is no dependency in the order of installing MDM or NW Java System first. So you can proceed on to it.

But one prerequisite is Database server should be installed before installing MDM Server.

MDM landscapes and Java landscapes are both different set of categories to be installed to run the Catalog scenario.

Based on my experience I'm giving the below steps which you can follow, if you haven't started yet.

Step 1: Install the back end database server(SQL/Oracle/???).

Step 2: Install all the MDM components(MDS, MDIS, etc).

Step 3: Install the Java WebAS.

Step 4: Now deploy the Catalog SCA and MDM Connector deployed in the Java WebAS.

Step 5: You can unarchive and load the repository.

Step 6: Try to launch the catalog using the URL provided to check and make sure if the connection is fine between Catalog and the repository content is displayed.

you can also check the Installation Guide/Solution Manager Guide which gives you more information on it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any queries.

Regards

Bala

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bala :- good Job. you are guiding us very well in catalog issues.

Muthu

0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Thanks for your response.

Couple of things to clarify regarding points1 and 2.

Step 1: Install the back end database server (SQL/Oracle/???)-->It's necessary to install an standalone database server? In a first moment I though the DB from AS JAVA could be used for SRM-MDM as well (a new schema should be created for this purpose then). In the installation guide for SRM-MDM catalog only an ERP or SRM AS JAVA are required (with their DBs off course).

Step 2: Make sure all the MDM components (MDS, MDIS, etc) is installed--> This is the most confusing point to me. Within the MDM Installation Master - Sapinst we have two installation options

SAP MDM installation

a- Central System

b- Central System for SRM-MDM catalog

Should I first install MDM 7.1 using the Central System option (a) and then install SRM-MDM using the second option (b), or I can start installing a Central System for SRM-MDM catalog 3.0 without installing MDM 7.1 (a)?

Sorry if my questions are basic ones...but I'm lost on this.

Your help is highly appreciated

Regards

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your wishes Muthu

~Bala

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

Step1:

It's necessary to install an standalone database server?

Yes, it is necessary to install a separate database server for MDM Installation. Nevertheless, the MDM Server

and the Web AS can use the same database. I hope this information should be mentioned in the installation guide as well. Isn't it?

Step-2:

Currently I don't have a landscape to test it for you.

Can you choose the option "Central System for SRM-MDM catalog" and click Next and check if you have the MDM Server(MDS), MDM Import Server(MDIS), MDM Shared Services are all selected by default. If you find all these options available there, then you can proceed with this option itself.

Note: I heard SAP has made the installation procedure easier using SAPInst in the recent versions. So in that case it should have include all its prerequisite components into one bundle and deliver it instead of making the customer to install the components separately.

Regards

Bala