cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW SAP instance with different OS and Oracle version from offline backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Installation of ERP 4.7 Ext 110 on Linux 5.5 running Oracle 10.2.0.4 using an (Offline backup from Oracle 10.2.0.2 on Linux 4)

The hardware is IA64.

I am using the Homogeneous System/Copy Backup and Restore Method to create SAP 4.7 Ext 110 installation on Linux 5.5.

CI installation was successful

However after successfuly installing Oracle 10g, an attempting to install patchset 10.2.0.2 it fails as this patchset DOES not work on Linux 5, which I confirmed from Oracle's website.

Hence the reason I installed patchset 10.2.0.4, then applied interim patches (sapbundle).

The brrestore of the offline backup was successful.

However whilst continuing ./sapinst for the DB installation, it fails by giving me ora-01110 and ora-01113 saying that media recovery is required.

My questions are

a) Can I restore an older version of an offline Oracle backup to a newer version ?. In my case 10.2.0.2 into a 10.2.0.4 database.

b) If yes, what did I do incorrectly.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

VKM.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You did the mistake while selecting the option in SAPINST for CI.

As the Database version is different, you can't use the Backup Restoration method.

Take the export copy from Linux 4 and import that into Linux 5. ( Homogeneous System Copy). In that time of DI, use the

Oracle 10.2.0.2 and update that to Oracle 10.2.0.4 patch.

Regards,

Luckshmanan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Luckshmanan,

I just need some clarfication.

Which option do I choose for DB installation.

There are four(4)

1. Standard installation

2. Standard System Copy / Migration (R3load-Based)

3. System Copy / Migration Using R3load for Non-MCOD Systems (R3load-Based)

4. System Copy / Oracle Backup/ Restore

Since you indicated that 4 is out the choices are between 1 to 3.

Please advise.

Thanks.

VKM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinood,

We faced lot of issues when we restored database backup of 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 verison.

It will always ask for Media recovery of SYSTEM tablespace.So it is advisable to use/instal 10.2.0.2 in the target and resotre the database then upgrade it to 10.2.0.4 otherwise it will not work properly.

One more solution is copy oracle binaries of source (10.2.0.2) to a folder in target . Map the Oracle Home as the new location where you have 10.2.0.2 home in the target. Bring up the database after refresh. Then run catupgrd.sql with your original oracle home (10.2.0.4) in the target with STARTUP UPGRADE mode. then it will help.

For System copies , Lower version to higher version restoration is not recommended.

Thanks,

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a small addition to what Jagdish has posted.

If u r copying oracle binaries (10.2.0.2) to the target and make use of it to bring up the DB .Pls donot forget to relink the oracle s/w after the copy of the binaries

Go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and execute relink all

Please remember the datafiles of ur source are from 10.2.0.2 where as u r trying to mount the DB(with an offline backup) in the target as 10.2.0.4 unless u upgrade the DB this is not possible .

Regards

Kausik