cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing desc in multiple languages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a main table and my product description is maintained in different languages.(EN, FR). In console I have made my repository multilingual(EN, FR). My source file has data in the form of

material lang desc

111 EN prod

111 FR (description in french)

222 EN xyz

222 EN (description in french)

In Import manager(Configuration options) I have mentioned "As filed and Language". Now my question is how do I map my soruce file to the target.

Source Target

Product <----> product

Desc <------> ?

any previous experience/thoughts, pls share.

Thanks,

Ve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

in configuration the is two option available 1) As Multiple Field 2)As filed and Language

1) As Multiple Field

once you select this option as "As Multiple Field" it will display two field at destination side as you selected only two language in repository i.e. Desc in Name column & English[US] in language column , Desc in name column & French[LU] in language column. so in your excel sheet create three column Material Number, Mat Desc[EN], Mat Desc[Lu] and map one to one field mapping and select matching field as Material number and import the data it will import desc in english and french & verify the data in data manager language details tab

2)As filed and Language

Once you select this option as "As filed and Language" it will create one more field at destination side i.e. Desc in Name Column & English[US] in language column and Desc[Language] in name column & none at language column

here the difference is Desc[Language] is destination field & will diplay destination value as English[EN],French[LN]

in this case excel sheet should contain three field Material Number, Mat Desc, Lanugage for e.g. value is 1001, color,English and 1002,color,French so map material to material, Desc to Desc and Language to Desc[Language] also map value of desc[Language] and select matching field as material number and import the data it will import desc in

english and french & verify tha data in data manager language details tab

Note : in As Multiple Field option will display number of field as many lanugage selected for reposioty for e.g three language will display Desc English[EN],Desc French[LN],Desc Chinese[CN] and in As filed and Language option will display only two field for e.g Desc[EN] and Desc[Language]

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have mapped as fields as described

lang <-> desc(language)

desc <-> desc

In language details tab(data manager), I can see the description

in both the languages.

But

If a desc is maintanined in two languages EN, LU....... i can see both

of them under language detail tab under corresponding coloumns...... which is fine.

If the desc is maintanied in only one language for a specific product, say EN.

Still I can see the desc in LU coloumn(the same english desc).

Data manger > language detail tab

english(EN) French(LU)

Desc(in english) Desc(in english)

pls reply

Thanks,

ve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thai is because the lamguage setting maintained in console.

If you check yore repository detail then you find all the languages in which repository maintained.

Like if repository maintained in EN and DE.

Then in repository detain in console you define what are the primary inherited language and what are the secondary inherited languages.

What this means is like for english the primary inherited language is DE then if data is not maintained in EN an data maintained in DE then it will fetch data from DE and show it in language details in data manager .

This is what happening in yr case.

Hope it clarifies your doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu, thanks for the clarity

But, If i dont want it to display in that fashion.

I mean, If the desc is avaliable in only one language(EN), i WOuld like to see in english only.

the coloumn under French, should be empty(since desc is not maintained in this language(french)

Also, when I am importing languages details from excel, even the first headings row(material, Language, desc) is also getting imported and

can be seen under value mapping. Is their a way to avoid this/or how is this generally handled.

rgds,

Ve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ve,

This is not possible.You have to define primary and secondary languages in console as there is no option to avoid it.

But using api you can achieve for application.

But in data manager you cannot avoid this.

So if data mained in any inherited language then it will come in yr language desc.

Also, when I am importing languages details from excel, even the first headings row(material, Language, desc) is also getting imported and

can be seen under value mapping. Is their a way to avoid this/or how is this generally handled.

No Idea why it is coming as values.

At my end it is coming as fields only.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

sudhanshu,

just making my question clear.

what I am saying is when importing from excel. The first row is having the heading of the specific coloumn(say.... product, product desc, etc).

So when i use import manager to import the data from any excel file, it is picking up the first coloumn also as a values. means at value mapping i can even see a value which is the heading ex. for "product id" mapping i can see a value "product"(which is the heading, generally product values should be something like E1110123, E111212 etc)

Thanks for ur help,

rgds,

ve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

is your problem get resloved if not revert back will more clrification where exactly you are facing problem with e.g.

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ve,

Ya i understand correctly and want to say that i m using the excel import and my first row contains fields name an it is not coming as values in import manager.

I have no idea why it is coming as values.

One thing what is coming as fields.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solved.... Thanks for all your help.

Rgds,

Vee

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For maintaining multingual fields following are the steps.

1. In console all the fields (description in your case) which are multilingual have to be set as multingual in Field Details.

2. Go to Data Manager>Language Details. You will see two columns, 1 for English(Any) and Other For Local(Any). Local (Any) is the field where you have to store the french version of the field.

3. Update you import map and map the local(any) field in MDM with Local(any) field of you import template. Also map the English language field. English and Local Language desp will be maintained seperately in the template.

4. When you execute the import the english language desp and french language desp will be saved in English(ANy) and Local(Any) fields of MDM.

Hope this will help...

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

When you set config option as "As filed and Language " then all the ulti lingual field in target become two fields.

Like if DEsc is multilingual field then it become two fields

1. desc

2. desc[language]

so you can match your source language field to this desc[lang] field and desc field to desc field.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena

If yu have selected "As Field and Language" for Expand multilingual text fields in the configuration options then MDM will split the destination field into multiple fields,as the field itself and a language field.

You should see-

1. Multi lingual Field

2. Language Key

This can be mapped to the language key and Description from the source files. In case this does not work you can apply the same logic at the fdestination ield level before mapping.

hope this helps-Ravi