cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Content Conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we will go for File Content Conversiona and when we will not?

I know this is a very fundamental question, but I am confused.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

If you are getting a file in an xml form then you don't have to do content conversion. As SAP internally works with XML structure.

In case we have a file which is in a .txt or any other file where the structure of the file needs to be defined for SAP XI, we use FCC. This helps SAP XI to create XML format and then map it to your MT for mapping.

Regards

Vijaya

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

I think the explanation given below if carefully followed can help you solve problems with content conversion.

To make note mapping cannot be performed with a flat file as XI understands only XML. Hence content conversion required.

Please go thru these links for step by step procedure to do the same:

<a href="/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/02/file-receiver-with-content-conversion Receiver with Content Conversion</a>

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d2/bab440c97f3716e10000000a155106/frameset.htm">Converting File Content in the Receiver Adapter</a>

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/bc/bb79d6061007419a081e58cbeaaf28/content.htm">Configuring the Receiver File/FTP Adapter</a>

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/06/08/how-to-send-a-flat-file-with-various-field-lengths-and-variable-substructures-to-xi-30

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/01/06/how-to-process-csv-data-with-xi-file-adapter

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2004/12/15/how-to-send-a-flat-file-with-fixed-lengths-to-xi-30-using-a-central-file-adapter

/people/anish.abraham2/blog/2005/06/08/content-conversion-patternrandom-content-in-input-file

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/2c/181077dd7d6b4ea6a8029b20bf7e55/content.htm

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/06/08/how-to-send-a-flat-file-with-various-field-lengths-and-variable-substructures-to-xi-30

Also carefully make a note of the "The ‘endSeparator’ parameter.

Regards,

Abhy

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When ever the source file is not in the same structure/format of the interface we go for file content conversion and we know any thing inside XI is XML.

Thanks,

Prakash

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

<b>XI understands ONLY XML</b>. <b>All messages to and from XI are always XML messages.</b>

Now, if the file being placed by your Legacy System is not going to be an XML file, then you can use the content conversion of your sender File adapter to convert this non XML file to an XML file.

Same way, if the file that is required by your 3rd party application should not be in a XML format, you can use content conversion of the receiver adapter to convert XML to text and so on.

<i><b>Basic point, all messages that reach the inegration engine of XI need to be in XML format and so you need content conversion to conevrt non xml to xml and vice versa.</b></i>

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bahvesh

What is need for giving Content Conversion Parameters & File Access Parameters details during the configuration time in the declaration of communicatoin channel.Could please explain.Iam Confused a bit.

With Regards

Prasad M L N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we go for content conversion when the data in the file has to be converted in to XML file,b'cos XI can understand only XML format and not flat file.SO content conversion is used to convert the information in the flat file to XML format.

to convert flat file to XML---sender adapter content conversion

to convert xml to flat file--receiver adapter content conversion

cheers

jithesh