Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

understanding the basis

former_member246786
Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

maybe my questions will appear to be a bit naïve, if so, i'm sorry. I work with SAP R/3 release 4.6 C.

I use to create function modules, transactions, function groups and others using ABAP Language.

But I have a problem to undertsand exactly what are the difference between mySap, netWeaver, R/3 and other products from SAP.

I have trouble trying to constitute a survey of these technologies. Which products are related to which one?

How can R/3 or netWeaver or others interact with technologies like .net, Java etc.

How to you distinguish the modules you are using FI/CO etc?

I hope you will not think that I'm stupid asking these questions but it's really important to me

Thank you very much,

M. Bourgeois

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

First, lets separate R/3 from netweaver. Netweaver is the platform in which all sap solutions run on top of.

This can be over an ABAP stack or a java stack

depending on the solution. For example, R/3 which is now referred to as ECC runs on top of the ABAP stack of

netweaver. Netweaver Portal runs on top of the java

stack. The Netweaver portal allows for integration of java and .net applications.

The components of Netweaver(taken from Sap.com)

SAP NetWeaver Application Server -- Supports platform-independent Web services, business applications, and standards-based development, enabling you to leverage existing technology assets for Web-services-oriented solutions

<b>SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence</b> -- Enables you to integrate data from across the enterprise and transform it into practical, timely business information to drive sound decision-making

<b>SAP NetWeaver Exchange Infrastructure</b> -- Delivers open integration technologies that support process-centric collaboration across the extended value chain

<b>SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management</b> -- Ensures cross-system data consistency and helps integrate business processes across the extended value chain

<b>SAP NetWeaver Mobile</b> -- Provides a "future-proof" mobile run-time environment based on open and flexible technology standards and a powerful development environment for building integrated mobile solutions with native or browser-based user interfaces

<b>SAP NetWeaver Portal</b> -- Unifies critical information and applications to give users role-based views that span the enterprise, enabling you to take full advantage of your information resources

<b>SAP Auto-ID Infrastructure</b> -- Gives you all the capabilities you need to integrate all automated sensing devices -- including RFID readers and printers, Bluetooth devices, embedded systems, and bar-code devices

mySAP was a brand name for the Business suite, including R/3, CRM, SRM and others.

Regards

Rich Heilman

former_member246786
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you .

SO I can see NetWeaver as a global platform that contain many component. R/3 is only one of these component?

BUt it's not clear how it all work together to provide an all.

Is there some patterns to explain what kind of services each component offer and how all these things interact?

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Netweaver is more the platform to enable things whereas R/3, now called ERP200x, is more focused on the functional side, namely things like HR, FI, etc.

Check also things like http://searchsap.techtarget.com/general/0,295582,sid21_gci1079310,00.html?Offer=SAucgnw5#intro

Eddy

PS.

Put yourself on the SDN world map (http://sdn.idizaai.be/sdn_world/sdn_world.html) and earn 25 points.

Spread the wor(l)d!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member246786
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you

I will look at this attentively.

I don't close the thread now in case I would like to ask some accuracy after the reading of these articles

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls don't forget to reward points and close the question if you find the answers useful.

Eddy

PS.

Put yourself on the SDN world map (http://sdn.idizaai.be/sdn_world/sdn_world.html) and earn 25 points.

Spread the wor(l)d!