cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy for BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to perform a BW system copy from PRD to DEV. My environment is Windows and Oracle 10g.

I was told the System Copy will take 8 days to complete.

Can anyone who have performed a similar exercise advise if it needs 8 days to perform the System Copy?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Steven,

Why would you need to re-create the DEV from PRD, normally people copy over the PRD to QA to refresh data for testing.

If you refresh DEV, you will lose track of all the developments that went in.

Also, the time it takes for the copy depends on the size of the database and the capability of the hardware.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steven888 ,

You can also do Homogenous system copy.

Take a offline backup of the PRD and apply it to DEV. I did this and it didn't took long to do.

Cheers!!!

Elnino

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

8 days?

that's totally crazy.

They might find that running BDLS (or BDLSS) take a huge amount of time.

check these links:

http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=324759

SAP Note 932032 - BDLS: specific conversion for large tables.

/people/hari.peruri/blog/2006/11/01/execute-conversion-of-logical-system-names-bdls-in-short-time-and-in-parallel--intermediate

For a 1.5TB refresh, including DB restore which consumes roughly 7 hours, I do it in less than 10 hours total.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your replies.

I like to mention that the size of my database is about 150GB and the plan is to restore the online PRD backup to DEV.

Actually I need to perform a system copy from PRD to DEV and QAS because DEV and QAS are not synchronized with PRD

This is because changes were previously performed directly in PRD resulting in Transfer and Updates rules not updated

in DEV/QAS.

I am aware that the system copy depends on the size of database and server hardware, hence would like to know

how long does it typically take to perform a BW system copy including all the post processing steps. I also think 8 days is a bit too much.

Any further inputs especially from those who have experience in performing BW7.0 System Copies are very much appreciated.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

your database is just a small 150GB?

your destination systems already exists?

this can be done within 1 day...

I have another BW system and this refresh is done within 3 hours total.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steven888,

As Eric rightly said, i should not be more than 1 day process unless you get stuckup in an issue.

In my case DB was of 240GB and it took me 7 Hours to do the complete restore and recovery and there were network issues also.

So go ahead and let us know if any problem arises.

Cheers!!!

Elnino

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Steven,

Since you are doing the System Copy for the first time with your Customer, you might want to reserve atleast 2 days and an additional day for contigency.

Since your SID will change ( source system SID would also change), you may require full data loads in all your cubes. This normally does take lot of time.

Please consult your BW guys for specific details, also check the following note, its the master SAP Note for BW System copy scenario:

Note 886102 - System Landscape Copy for SAP NetWeaver BW

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically For BI system copy Time frame it depends on your Database Size and the BI Application you have used.

Following are the steps: ( i would suggest to go with sapisnt tool)

1. System Export of the Source BI sytem ( that is your BI Production System)

2. Install a new system in DEV system using the Export

3. Carry out the Follow up activites

3.a first and very important is converting logical sytem ( if your version is Latest BDLS is very easy)

3.b. Creating RFC and Activating the source sytsem

Here the time frame is basically the downtime of production system and the development system installation depends on the Hardware you are having.

Might i would say including all the Post installation activities you may need 8 days ( with testing)

Hope this helps you.

Thanks & Regards,

Balaji.S