cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same cusstom idoc structure for different interfaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Just wanted to get some feedback on how to overcome this issue. We have created a custom idoc format ..a variation of INVOIC. We now need to use that same format for a completely different application of the outgoing invoice, however we want to insulate each of these two interfaces from being affected by changes to the idoc structure ( in the future ). In other words ..if the idoc structure needs to change for interface A we really don't want to test interface B to accomidate it.

What is your suggestion on how to handle this? A copy and rename of the idoc or what?

Thanks,

Andrew

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Creating multiple custom IDOCs of same type is not a good idea. So if you are not going to touch the existing CUSTOM fields or data type (which is already in use) then just adding the new fields in the IDOC will not cause any problems to the other interface.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you ..so even if the idoc structure was renamed ..that would not be a good way to gain the separation we needed? These two interfaces have nothing to do with each other ..it's just coincidence that they both use the same fields in this structure, and in the future each interface may have it's own requirements as far as additional fields etc..

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you go onto add or remove field of the IDoc and the other interface does not use these fields (or even segments), it shouldnt ideally be of any issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

If the interface is using in different systems, you can have in different interfaces because sometimes systems has different names of fields to trade some information, if you have one interface maybe this can complicate the maintain of this.

I think that you custom your invoice interface because there are requirements like name, cardinality, etc. So i think that would be good to have them separated.

Thanks & Regards,

lpbuff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks ipbuff. So if the idoc is y_invoic_A and is used for interface A. How would I go about in sap copying that to y_invoic_B for use in interface B?

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, i think so, is your invoice custom interface and you can use the name that is better to identify.

Thanks & Regards,

lpbuff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Scott yo should consider that PI use metadata for IDOC (IDX2) so in case that structure for interface A must be changed and the same IDoc is used also for interface B. when the metadata be updated automatically the structure for A and B will change.

so, i recommend you to use the same IDoc but with different base type. i mean

INVOIC.version1 for system A

INVOIC.version2 for system B

by default you have:

DEBMAS.DEBMAS01

DEBMAS.DEBMAS02.

DEBMAS.DEBMAS03.

DEBMAS.DEBMAS04.

DEBMAS.DEBMAS05.

DEBMAS.DEBMAS06.

or

CREMAS.CREMAS01

CREMAS.CREMAS02

CREMAS.CREMAS03

CREMAS.CREMAS04

so you will have the same IDoc and control version for yours interfaces.

no matter if you use differents Enterprice Service Nane (PI 7.1) o Service Interface(XI3.0) if you update the metadata two mapping will change.

Thanks,

Rodrigo P-.

Edited by: Rodrigo Alejandro Pertierra on Sep 2, 2010 1:26 PM