cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ecc6 on unix and application on linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I need same advice about linux and unix.

Have CI ECC6.0 on unix system and I want to add server application on linux to the CI

Can anyone tell me if its good idea ? (memory management , kernel , other problem)

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is nothing wrong with going this route and a lot of people do it for various reasons eg less maintenance costs, cheaper hardware etc

Depending on the OS used, just follow its installation guidelines which you will find in the following SAP Note 171356 - SAP software on Linux: Essential information

Also check http://service.sap.com/instguides

Nelis

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using similar kind of environmnet, as my client planning to move all SAP landscape to Linux environmnet.My current config CI is running on Solaris 10 and all App server are running on Linux ( VMWare). I did not see any concern, when it comes to config, please keep in mind the following points :

-- You need to maintain two separate kernel directory one for Solaris kernel in CI and create /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory in each Linux system for Linux kernel. Do not mount /sapmnt/<SID> from CI to Linux App Server, instead mount /sapmnt/<SID>/global and /sapmnt/<SID>/profile directory

- UID and GUID for sap users - sidadm abd database user must be same in both HPUX and Linux

-- If you are using any sftp connection and password encryption , you have to modify for Linux, as it using different package for encryption.

-- Set the memory related parameter for Linux App server ( instance profile) as per the folloiwng OSS notes. Do not set it for HPUX CI.

Note 941735 - SAP memory management for 64-bit Linux systems

Good Luck.

Regards,

Dipam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dipam

Thanks for the reply.  As you mentioned, we have the correct setup and in the process of revieweing the Note 941735.

Still don't understand we see a difference in behaviour between the BE and LE using a unicode system. I will raise a message with SAP and see what they have to say.

Regards

Hari

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

SAP note 1310720 is also valid for Unicode systems.

This is mainly  valid for char-like data which is not explicitly declared as such.

One typical example is data stored in TEMSE ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

Could you please share any specific issue currently your facing so that share are experince on that area.For example partticular shotdump when you execute some external command from batch job etc.

I belive you are maintaining same level of Kernel patch in both environmnet.

Regards,

Dipam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nils

Understand. Especially if the spool file is generated in BE and viewed in LE the characters are not displayed correctly.

Thanks

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dipam

We are bit behind in our Kernel (701 - patch 176). We are planning on upgrading to Kernel 7.2 with latest patch early next year. CI (UNIX) and DI (Linux), have their own kernel sets but at the same level.

For the time being, the DI is configured to have only "diag" work processes and the idea is to include "bg" wp after some time. Our main objective is to shift the load (CPU cycles and User context Memory) to DI to free up the same in CI which shares the DB instance.

Make sure the RFCs with "program ids" are regiestred in both CI & DI GWs or specify CI gateway in SM59.

Except this loading issue (just displays "Keyword COLUMN_START missing from spreadsheet, no ST22 or SM21 msgs) on DI, we haven't come across any issues so far in our testing. Fingers crossed.

Regards

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

> I need same advice about linux and unix.

> Have CI ECC6.0 on unix system and I want to add server application on linux to the CI

> Can anyone tell me if its good idea ? (memory management , kernel , other problem)

> Thanks

I have seen many customers where the ci and db resides on hp ux and app servers on linux.Shouldnt be a problem.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

...just to add:

HP-UX is a BigEndian platform whereas Linux on x86_64 is LittleEndian. This may lead to problems when binary data is exchanged. If external products (such as fax server etc.) are connected to the system they need to be aware of that.

Apart from that there won't be any technical issues.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

IBM AIX and HP UX ( Unix ) is good for Database and ( Redhat )LINUX Os is good for Application as Per my Research.

Linux is the BEst Platform for Running Applications.As the Linux platform is Robust and Fast.

Recommended is to Instal Application Server In Seperate Server. So that CI Will have less Load As the Application will take the load.

Thanks

Santhose

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> IBM AIX and HP UX ( Unix ) is good for Database and ( Redhat )LINUX Os is good for Application as Per my Research.

> Linux is the BEst Platform for Running Applications.As the Linux platform is Robust and Fast.

Linux can act as well as database server. There's no advantage in running them on a different Unix.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HP-UX is a BigEndian platform whereas Linux on x86_64 is LittleEndian.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> HP-UX is a BigEndian platform whereas Linux on x86_64 is LittleEndian.

True - I wrote that before

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcus

Our CI is running on HP-UX (BE) and DI is running on Linux (LE). When we are uploading file from Excel using a customized "Z" program, on CI it works fine but on DI we get an error. Nothing gets reported on SM21 or ST22. On debug, we found the hex value for the "tab delimiter" is not interpreted correctly on DI.

Both CI & DI are Unicode systems and I thought the "code page" issue shouldn't happen on "unicode" systems. Have referred to note "1310720 - Collection Note for Unicode Systems w. different endianness" with no luck.

Regards

Hari

thomas_valentini
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

please keep in mind that you have to double maintenance environments, SAP kernel, scripts, OS patches etc. for HP-UX and for Linux.

Anyway it's possible and recommendable because of the cheap and fast Linux platform.

We are happy with CI on Power/AIX and a couple of DI on Intel/SLES.

Best regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We recently did the same configuration which you had mentioned. Our CI was on HPUX and we installed App servers on RedHat Linux.

Heterogeneous environment is supported and will work perfectly. Let me know if you need any configuration details, like how to set it up and NFS mount pts

Regards,

SBK

weesim
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear SBK,

We are setting up CI (HP/UX) and DI (RedHat Linux) similar to yours. Do you mean sharing your configuration details? I am especially interested in the setup of mount points on the RedHat Linux apps servers as well as using SAPCPE to update both HP/UX and RedHat Linux SAP kernel.

Thanks.

former_member580326
Discoverer
0 Kudos

There shouldn't be any problem with regards to mounts between unix and linux. The only problems we tend to see are between windows and linux but even these mount problems can be fixed easily enough. Once the kernel patch is the same on both the CI and app instances you won't have any problems.

0 Kudos

Hi SBK,

Do you have seperate SAP Kernel for HPux and Linux or it shared accross the all the CI and APP servers. we are planning to have same setup CI on HP and App servers on lInux and just wondering how we can go with SAP kernel. our CI is ready and we are installing Linux app servers now. Do we need to mount /sapmnt from CI or use local Kernel..

Thanks

Jags

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically it is not a big issue, we are just moving two big systems from HP-UX only to HP-UX database/ASCS with linux application servers. We intentionally choose not to have a CI on HP-UX anymore, because:

- you would need to maintain abap loads for both platforms

- some transactions might run faster on linux and vice versa, causing confusion

- some things might look different, like sort results

- external commands/scripts will not automatically work both parties

So we only have an ASCS instance running (msg + enqueue server) on the central host.

But be warned, your system landscape gets more complicated. You need good knowlegde on both platforms and you have do additional work like for example managing two kernel versions etc.

Check these notes for further information:

[1067221 - Composite note for heterogeneous installation|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1067221]

[531069 - Heterogeneous Unix - Unix Systems|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/531069]

Cheers Michael