cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros/Cons of Using Alt Formula for Condition Base vs Custom Copy Control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Just wanted some feedback on a scenario and the best approach to solve it. For those that don't know what a catchweight is, it is common in the meat industry. At order time you may price an item based on the weight in the material master, but due to shrinkage and other biological factors, the actual shipped weight could be different. If you have pricing based on weight, you need to use the newer weight, not the weight on the material master that was pulled in at order time. FOr normal order->delivery->invoice we are fine since the delivery gets updated with the right weight which then gets passed thru to the invoice since the invoice is based on the delivery/

Problem u2013 Intercompany dropship orders that have a catchweight item will always have the incorrect line item amount.

Root Cause u2013 This scenario is an order-related billing scenario. In this case, the order is created, a schedule line item category creates a PO. The GR and IR are done against the PO. The GR has the correct weight. Since this is order related billing it and since the pricing date is the order date, the invoice always uses the weight on the order which is incorrect. It needs to use the GR weight

The two potential solutions I've come up with are an Alt Formula for Condition Base for the specific pricing condition to work its way back, find the GR weight and update the base value so when the condition is repriced at billing time, it's using the correct weight.

The other solution is to use copy control at the item category level, update the VBRP value for net weight using similar logic and reprice.

I'm thinking both accomplish the same thing. What are the pros/cons to each and what is the best practice approach?

I ask because this was a design gap and it's getting political over who should own the fix(Pricing vs Billing team). Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As suggested, it can be done in bothways, but the implications are to be considered carefully

If you do it by copy control, it means that

1. It is meant for a specific condition type but is relevant for entire pricing. Is this what you want? Or you want the catch weight to be enforced on specific condition types.

2. Copy control is relevant for the entire set of transaction for all the line items falling under that particular item category.

If you do it by means of routine

1. It is very specific to condition type. I would prefer to do it this way as this is more specific

2. When there is a change in logic, you can always control easily here than in copy controls

3. If multiple conditions are to be affected by this change, the routine has to be assigned to each of them unlike copy control which is generic for the transaction

4. Implications if any are less serious here than the Copy control approach and can be reversed by changing the logic and repricing the order, which is not possible if the copy control route is selected.

My preference is for the second approach, though I dont find anything seriously wrong with copy control.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks gentlemen. I also prefer to do it via the pricing routine vs copy control. Unfortunately it's political as to what team does it. Thanks so much for the information which gives me more ammunition to make my case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Both solutions could work in your case. However, in case if u need to write a routine for AltCalcType you would need to werite the logic for the same with the help of an ABAP guy.

It is suggested that you may use standard functionality thats offered like copy controls, since there might be future variation in logic for the calculation of the same and every time the ABAP person has to change the code that derives the catchweight and test the whole scenario again.

Regards,

Amit