cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use lodercli for export import

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to migrate my content server data , that is on SAPDB version 7.3 (32 bit) to new server with MAX DB 7.6. (64 bit) .

I wanted to know:

1) how to do export an d import using lodercli. i wanted to use loder of my new server i.e. MAXDB loder to do the export immport. Can any one tell me the steps and the command to do this ?

2) I have refered SAP note 962019, but need some more help on the steps that is given in this note for hetrageneous copy.

Note : i dont have any SAP system on the server i have only content server and hence i dont have user SAPR3 on database.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

>

> I want to migrate my content server data , that is on SAPDB version 7.3 (32 bit) to new server with MAX DB 7.6. (64 bit) .

> I wanted to know:

> 1) how to do export an d import using lodercli. i wanted to use loder of my new server i.e. MAXDB loder to do the export immport. Can any one tell me the steps and the command to do this ?

>

> 2) I have refered SAP note 962019, but need some more help on the steps that is given in this note for hetrageneous copy.

>

> Note : i dont have any SAP system on the server i have only content server and hence i dont have user SAPR3 on database.

Well, if this is a content server database, then you have to have a SAPR3 user.

What SQL do you have in your database?

Besides: ARE YOU SURE that you really really need to perform the export/import?

This is ONLY required when the endianess of the platform changes (e.g. from little-Endian to big-endian).

If you e.g. stay on x86 platform you may just use an inplace upgrade!

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

As I mentioned we are going use the new server with 64 bit win2003 for our content server that is running on 32 bit server win 2000. and hene i think the migration is required. We can not do the backup recovery. Do you feel i have any other option then export import?

I have also checked on DB level ( user_getall) i can see only 3 users : Domain, db operator and db administrator) . more over i am not able to login to sqlcli on my existing SAPDB server it seems it is not available there

So , I need to know how to peform the export import using the target server loder.

Regards,

Bhavesh

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As I mentioned we are going use the new server with 64 bit win2003 for our content server that is running on 32 bit server win 2000. and hene i think the migration is required.

No it isn't.

Does the byte-order change? No, it doesn't.

> We can not do the backup recovery.

Sure you can. Why not?

> Do you feel i have any other option then export import?

I don't feel this. I know that the correct option for this is:

1. perform an inplace upgrade from 7.3. to 7.6/7.7 on 32-Bits

2. take a full backup

3. restore the full backup to the 64-Bit instance

> I have also checked on DB level ( user_getall) i can see only 3 users : Domain, db operator and db administrator) . more over i am not able to login to sqlcli on my existing SAPDB server it seems it is not available there

This is not DB level!

This is DBM level - that is: database (instance) management users.

The guys that 'move the box'.

The users you listed actually aren't users, but the roles of the users.

I guess you have CONTROL, SUPERDBA and DOMAIN.

What you need to have to access your data is a SQL user.

The type of user that lives 'inside the box'-

For content sever this is always SQL user SAPR3.

Maybe you should make yourself familiar with MaxDB ?

There are many blogs on it (most of them are my own ones), there are tons of documentation, WIKI and expert sessions - How about reading them?

> > So , I need to know how to peform the export import using the target server loder.

Nope - you need to learn about MaxDB administration.

By that you'll discover that you actually don't need to export/import your database.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the details update:

offcause i am new in SAPDB , and will be greate full if you give me link ( your blogs) on this db reovery or export import.

2) As per note 962019: it says the normal backup recovery will not work in suchsituation. and we need to go for hetrageneous system copy.

3) One most important update is , currently i am running on content server version 6.10 and i am not sure if it works with the MAXDB 7.6 vesion . can you put some light on this as well .

Regards,

Bhavesh

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the details update:

> offcause i am new in SAPDB , and will be greate full if you give me link ( your blogs) on this db reovery or export import.

What??

SDN search is disabled for you?

> 2) As per note 962019: it says the normal backup recovery will not work in suchsituation. and we need to go for hetrageneous system copy.

WRONG!

The note say you need to perfom this export/import when you change the byte-order.

You cannot simply take a backup of your 7.3 database and import it into 7.6, that's right.

But what you can and should do is to follow the steps I gave you above.

> 3) One most important update is , currently i am running on content server version 6.10 and i am not sure if it works with the MAXDB 7.6 vesion . can you put some light on this as well .

Content Server 6.10 is out of support - you may want to upgrade this to the current 6.40 and then you can use 7.7.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

Please check the following (point 7) in note 962019:

7. The procedure described in this note supports the following migrations:

The source system has the same database core version as the target system.

The source system has a lower database core version than the target system.

The source system runs on a 32-bit platform, and the target system runs on a 64-bit platform.

The source system has an ASCII database catalog (database parameter _UNICODE = NO), and the target system has a UNICODE database catalog (parameter UNICODE = YES). For each installation as of SAP MaxDB Version 7.6, the Unicode database catalog (UNICODE=YES) is preconfigured.

and I am dealing with the same situation hence choose the export import rather than normal backup recovery.

2) I know the Cs 6.10 is out of support and it need to upgrade to new CS version that is 6.4 , but if i am already installing the new server for content server with CS 6.4 and MAXDB 7.6 why then why cant i use the export import from older server to new server??

Other wise i need to upgrade the MAXDB then upgrade CS and then take the backup and restore, isnt it more logivcal to do export import using loder as we have all prerequisites available??

REgards,

Bhavesh

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please check the following (point 7) in note 962019:

Ok...

> 7. The procedure described in this note supports the following migrations:

> and I am dealing with the same situation hence choose the export import rather than normal backup recovery.

Well. it says: the procedure supports these migrations, which is true.

It does not say: "please do use the export/import migration in these situations".

Please do read the note point 1 where it says;

"Homogeneous system copies (backup/recovery) can be executed only in

systems that fulfill the following conditions:

a) The database versions in the source system and the target system

do not differ.

b) The processor uses the same byte sorting sequence (Little Endian

-> Little Endian; Big Endian -> Big Endian).

*If the specified operating system prerequisites are met in the

source and target system, you MUST use the homogeneous system copy

and not the heterogeneous system copy.*"

So in your case export import is not even supported!

> 2) I know the Cs 6.10 is out of support and it need to upgrade to new CS version that is 6.4 , but if i am already installing the new server for content server with CS 6.4 and MAXDB 7.6 why then why cant i use the export import from older server to new server??

> Other wise i need to upgrade the MAXDB then upgrade CS and then take the backup and restore, isnt it more logivcal to do export import using loder as we have all prerequisites available??

1. you don't meet the prerquesites (see above) - you can use backup/restore, so you have to !

2. export/import is a terribly slow and clumsy procedure

3. backup/restore is a easy, safe and fast method to perform the system copy

If you still really, really want to stick with export/import, feel free to try it out.

The note contain all required steps and the documentation for MaxDB even includes tutorials for the loader.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the updates and help. bu i need some meore help on lodercli .

1) Can I use loader from targetr server to export data on source system ?

2) do I need to creae any control file for this?

Regards,

Bhavesh

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) Can I use loader from targetr server to export data on source system ?

Sure, just as it is documented...

> 2) do I need to creae any control file for this?

You will want to create a control file as it is explained in the note.

But you can also use loadercli in an interactive mode - so you don't have to.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> A very basic question , how can i create this command file? and will it export the complete data or the only user data?

Do you mind to read the note, please?

> actually i tried to use loader in transport mode but it seems to be not working.

I does work.

Tried and tested.

Sorry, but up to here I don't get the impression that you read the notes, documentation or follow my advise.

Thus: have fun with your further learning/testing!

regards,

Lars