cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record Real Delivery Dates to Customers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I am working in the supply chain department of medium sized company, but I am not an SD expert (not even close), but I got a "can't do" answer I would like to discuss with you in this forum.

I am trying to monitor real delivery dates to customers so I can get a real feel of how much time it takes from the day the Sales order is entered in the system to the day it is received by the customer.

I was told by our inhouse SD experts that they do not know a way to record in our SAP ERP 6.0 when a product was really delivered to a customers so we have to rely only in the date the product left the warehouse

As you could imagine I am not happy with that answer, so if you could please let me know whether one can o cannot record such information on the systems (and if yes, how can I pouint SD people to the right place)

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to add to the above suggestions, which are certainly options to consider, you can usually get the delivery date to the customer from carriers like UPS, FedEX or any other carrier (provided you use a 3rd party carrier for delivery to customers). These carriers can provide the date via a file in the requested format and you can use this information to update the shipment document or create a POD for the delivery.

RB.

Edited by: what the.... on Sep 1, 2010 11:31 AM

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
they do not know a way to record in our SAP ERP 6.0 when a 
    product was really delivered to a customers

First of all, I have a doubt as to whether you want to capture the date on which the products are received by your customer or the date on which, the goods left the factory.

If your option is first one, then you can go with POD concept which I am sure, you are aware of. On the other hand, if your requirement is second one, as already suggested, if transportation module is implemented, you can track. Else, you can consider the "Actual GI Date" from delivery. Field name is WADAT_IST which you can see in LIKP table.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi, first of all thank you for your reply

I think I already have the date teh good are issued. Our folks at the finished goods warehouse do fill the date when they issue the goods to the shippers.

What we don't have is the date the shipper delivers the good to the customer (actually we do have it since it is written in paper forms, but it is not currently being recorded in the System)

what I would like is to be able to look at a sales order and determine how much time it took since it was entered in the system by the sales team to the time we actually delivered the goods.

This will help me to measure it, the first step in order to improve it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alvaro

If you are using transportation module (shipments), you can achieve this.

In the shipment, you can enter actual date and time for Shipment End, i.e. the time and date when you set the shipment status to 'End'. You have both planned and actual dates for the following statuses in the shipment/ General Data tab.

Check-in

Loading start

Loading end

Shpmt compl.

Shipment start

Shipment end

May be you can use this to denote when the customer has received the goods.

You also have a tab called 'Deadlines' where you can monitor more closely using Events with planned and actual date/time.

Does this work for you? let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrasekhar,

Thank you very much for your reply. No I wonder if the transportation module is an add-on to the core ERP function or it is included within other module?. So far I have heard of modules such as SD, MM, SD, QM, PM, FI, CO, but not of Transportation Module on it's on.

Again, thanks for your reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I found it under the SD menu, but again this brings another question. This might work assuming each transport has only one customer, what if a truck delivers to multiple customers each time it goes out for delivery?

Again, thank you for any advice you could provide me.

Best

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is a part of standard delivered SAP, in fact it is part of LE Module which is a split module from SD. You need to use the Transportation module.

A shipment can have multiple deliveries and yes, it can contain deliveries to several different customers. Shipment is used to:

Combine deliveries into one inbound or outbound shipment

Specify shipment stages

Legs

border crossing points

load transfer points

Assign goods to handling units

Assign service agents

Specify planned transportation deadlines

Record actual transportation deadlines

Specify output required for transportation (such as shipping papers or EDI messages)

Define transport-relevant texts

Take a look at the following documentation and read more about Shipments here:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/93/743e5f546011d1a7020000e829fd11/frameset.htm

Here is the IMG activity to maintain Events and deadlines:

SPRO/IMG/Logistics Execution/Transportation/Basic Transportation Functions/Shipping Deadlines

Hope this helps.