Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Netweaver 7 SR2 and Netweaver 7 SR3

boobboo
Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Netweaver 7 SR2 and Netweaver 7 SR3, I have a question out with SAP regarding the supportability of SCM 5.1 on Windows 2008.

The response I got back was that SCM 5.1 is based on Netweaver 7 SR2, but it was my understanding that the SR designation was for the level of support packs and kernel upon vanilla installation. Have I missed something fundamental, because my SCM installation is patched to the highest level and therefore surpasses the patch and kernel levels provided by Netweaver 7 SR3.

TIA

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a question out with SAP regarding the supportability of SCM 5.1 on Windows 2008.

Did you check service.sap.com/pam ?

I can see SCM 5.0 already supports Windows 2008(x64/IA64).

Nelis

boobboo
Contributor
0 Kudos

Nelis

I have been through that little gem with SAP Support, basically their stance is that SCM 5.0 (based on Netweaver 7 SR3) will be supported on Windows 2008 - same applies for SCM 7. But SCM 5.1 which is based on Netweaver 7 SR2 will not be supported on Windows 2008.

My question is what is the difference in SR2 and SR3, I understood it was simply an update of the kernel and support packages for vanilla install.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by: Chris Kernaghan on Sep 1, 2010 9:45 AM

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

my question is what is the difference in SR2 and SR3, I understood it was simply an update of the kernel and support packages for vanilla install.

In theory thats exactly what it is.... The main difference between the two of them is the SP Stack.

Regards

Juan

boobboo
Contributor
0 Kudos

Juan,

Exactly, so my challenge to SAP is "Show me the difference, my current patch levels exceed SR3"

But they are being obstanate about it - any ideas about how to force the issue?

Chris

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

I think the difference is between the Kernel levels. When they say, they don't support Win 2008 on older releases, they normally mean that they have stopped further development of the kernel.

Check on the PAM and you should get some information on this.

You might also want to check the Release Strategy for this:

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000847152007E/Release_Brochure_LE_2010.pdf

Regards,

Siddhesh

Edited by: Siddhesh Ghag on Sep 1, 2010 3:30 PM

tomas_black
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

The main difference between these releases is the initial SP level that comes with each media kit:

NetWeaver 7.0 SR3: 14

NetWeaver 7.0 SR2: 9

NetWeaver 7.0 SR1: 6

For more details, you can check note:

#789220 Support Package level for NetWeaver Installations/Upgrades

Other differences relate to the (new) installer with some bugs corrections and a few additional features and restrictions:

- the Unicode restriction in SR3: "Only Unicode support for new installations" - "Every newly installed SAP system is a Unicode system. However, non-Unicode is still supported for copied and upgraded systems." So a new install based on SR3 must be UNICODE. On the other way, if you upgrade your, say, SR1 system to SR3, you can still run it NON-UNICODE.

- SR3 supports only 64bit new installs on the Central Instance. However, if you need to add dialog instances (application servers), they can be 32bit ones (albeit 64bit is always recommended). When upgrading your system from SR1 to SR3 (for example), you can skip this restriction. That is, you can keep your CI in 32bit, although this is highly not recommended.

A common workaround for these restrictions (if you want to keep your system NON-UNICODE and/or if you want to keep it 32bit) is to:

1) Install a SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR2 (SAP ERP 2005 SR2, SAP CRM 5.0 SR2, SAP SCM 5.0 SR2, SAP SRM 5.0 SR2) system.

2) Patch this system to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 (SAP ERP 6.0, SAP CRM 5.0 SR3, SAP SCM 5.0 SR3, SAP SRM 5.0 SR3).

There are more features / restrictions on the installation guides for SR3 in section: "1.1 New Features"

Also, there is many more minor differences like, for example, that you can only install a SAP system in a Windows 2008 from NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 and up - see note #1054740.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Tomas Black