cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoke ADS from 3rd party application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to invoke the Adobe Document Services from a non-SAP 3rd party application?

Assumtions:

1. 3rd party application and SAP Netweaver running on separate servers

2. This is a non-interactive form.

3. 3rd party application prepares XML file with input data.

4. Adobe LiveCycle Designer is used to create form layout.

4. 3rd party application invokes the services passing the input XML file and, I guess, the desired form name.

5. ADS merges the file and returns PDF to 3rd party application.

6. We get the appropiate licenses from SAP.

Is there any documentation for the above scenario?

Thanks!

Augusto

Edited by: Augusto Castro on Aug 31, 2010 6:32 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

as you can see the other comment, it is possible, RFC works ok, the only problem you may have with the type of the data stream you will exchange between the SAP and non-SAP system. But there are not that many options how to set the types and you could try all to find the right one. I am not aware of any documentation, but through the RFC, you should not need any documentation. Let me point out you don´t need any license either, since you said it is not interactive form and nn-interactive forms are a free part of every NetWeaver (like were smartforms before etc.).

Regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have done similar work previously. What you can do is to create a RFC enabled FM. In this FM, write your code for "Open Form", call the form FM and then close form. While opening the form remember to flag "Get PDF" as "X". The form FM will give you a pdf in XSTRING format. Either you can send them the XSTRING or you can convert your XSTRING to binary table and send them the binary table.

Logic:

Call FM "Open Form" -> get PDF = X

Call FM "THE PDF FORM"

Call FM "Close Form"

Optional Call FM "CONVERT XSTRING to BINARY".

Once receiver system receives the binary table, they can concatenate the content of binary table in single string to get PDF.

I hope this helps.

Regards,